Corrupt External Hard Disk Drive, how can I get the HDD's information?

Vinayak Rajesekhar

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Corrupt External Hard Disk Drive

Hello!

I own a 250 GB SeaGate External Hard Disk Drive. My MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 failed to detect it last night. Upon opening Disk Utility, I found out that it failed to mount as well. I tried to repair it four times through Disk Utility but to no avail. I tried creating an image of the HDD which also failed.

I do not have a backup of its data and need it desperately. It contains a lot of sensitive, personal information.

Could anybody PLEASE help me retrieve the HDD's information free of cost? I know of softwares like Disk Warrior etc. but they are beyond my affordability.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Corrupt External Hard Disk Drive

You weren't backing up the essential files anywhere at all?

Unfortunately, recovering data from a drive as you've described it will take money either for a software utility that there's no guarantee it will work... Or a recovery service that has the same potential of not being able to recover anything.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I just had a Seagate 2TB drive fail to mount or repair. It was a backup drive.

This may not help you but I left the drive plugged in and forgot about for a few days because I got busy with work.

When I went back to my iMac the drive had mounted and I was able to copy everything of extreme importance off the drive. It took about 3 days to drag and drop files and folders when I attempted to drag a huge amount of data at one time the drive would crash so I did just a few gig at a time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

MobileMadness002

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

Depending on the computer you have, remove the drive from the enclosure, mount it in the computer itself, make sure to NOT press "Ok" or "Continue" on any prompt to repair the drive, see if it mounts when connected directly in the computer. If so, back it up, maybe 2 times if you have the space available. Once done, place back into the enclosure and try to mount it again as you normally would. If it fails then you are fortunate, the issue is with the enclosure hardware and not the drive itself.

I have had a couple of enclosures go belly up. Always managed fine though.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

The OP has a MacBook Pro so he can't mount it in the computer itself.
He could try buying a new enclosure for the drive but if disk utilities is seeing the drive and not repairing it I would lean more to the drive failing. Most of the enclosures I've had fail disk utilities won't even see it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2