What laptop should I buy ? Macbook pro or macbook air?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The one with the features you want that best meets your needs and has the best specs at a price you're willing to pay for...

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I find the Pro to be close enough in weight and battery life to the Air to recommend it, though it comes at a higher price.

If you can afford the Pro, get the Pro just for the much better screen and more power.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the MacBook air but I love my MacBook pro. But that's your decision to make.

Sent from the great iPhone 6+

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I will give the same advice I give to anyone who asks me for tech computer purchase advice.

Buy the best Mac you can afford, the best processor, most ram and the biggest hard drive.

The new Macs are not user upgradable and you will likely have it for a very long time. The beefier it is the less likely it will be under powered in a year or two.

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The pont to ask: will it be your only computer (and do you have a specific pricetag you do not want to bypass)

If not, opt for ease of transport and choose the MBAir

If yes, also look into the MBPro as you will have more choices for screen size

Unfortunately current MBPro models can't be upgraded anymore (I think the last version that allowed so, was the 2012 model), so for both (Pro&Air) you will have to buy a predefined config, which should also meet your future needs. Never mind for the disk: you could add f.i. an external USB or network drive.

Dhurim Deljiu

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
2,2-Ghz dual core intel core i7 turbo boost 3,2 Ghz with 8 g ram MACBOOK AIR instead of i5 and 4 g ram. Should I pay ?300 extra for these upgrades or is it worth it paying extra for the macbook pro?

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Considering that you can not upgrade at a later moment, yes it is worth having on your laptop from the beginning (and is the marketing reason why you can't update, other then replace when you will need it)

Last edited:

Dhurim Deljiu

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm going definetly for the 8 gb ram! I'm sticking with the standard i5 processor.
The issue is: is 128 gb ssd enough for a college student who will use word, excel, powerpoint alot? I can always buy an external hard drive if needed

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm going definetly for the 8 gb ram! I'm sticking with the standard i5 processor.
The issue is: is 128 gb ssd enough for a college student who will use word, excel, powerpoint alot? I can always buy an external hard drive if needed

I am a Computer Science student, and I opted for the mid tier model, which upgrades the storage to 256 GB SSD. I don't regret upgrading at all. I think you could get by with 128 if you just do Microsoft Office work, but if you want to install any games or apps, keep that in mind. Also, think of your needs in the future, as you may need more storage down the road.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I took this advice and never regretted it :
Always get the highest storage you can afford.

This is great advice. Went with an 8 GB iPod Touch 4 and a 16 GB iPad Mini 2 (both are base storage models) and was constantly running out of storage. Upgraded to a 64 GB iPhone 6 and a 64 GB iPad Air 2 and I have zero regrets opting for a higher storage capacity.

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the other posters here. Always get as much storage as you can when you purchase.

You don't want to have an external drive to drag around with your shinny new laptop. They are very light and small but it's another piece of kit you would have to pack and carry.

shockjay

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Although I opted for a 13" MacBook Pro last year I agree with you on buying an external hard drive, as I bought one two weeks after getting the laptop.

MariMac21

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I personally went with the Macbook Pro because of its features. I like the CD Drive, the only thing that bothered me is the non-retina display, but you get used to it after a while, overall is a very, very good machine.

To me the Macbook Air was not worth it, but you choose whatever is more convenient for you of course.

Let us know which one you picked!!