Best Software to Install Windows Programs on Mac OS X?

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased my first Apple computer, a used Macbook Pro. I'm learning, and will be for awhile! I am employed in the IT field, but it's all Windows PCs and Windows software, so I feel like a noob in a way. My Macbook is an A1286 early 2011 version. I was able to buy it cheap as it needed some work. I replaced the battery (which was most of its original problem), and I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and installed a 512GB SSD. With the i7 CPU, this thing rocks!

There is one Windows program I need to use. I tried Wine as the emulator, but it wouldn't install one of the required prerequisite programs correctly (.NET Framework 4.0). After searching online, I discovered Crossover. That worked perfectly. It has a 14 day trial which I am partway through right now, but I have about 10 days to decide what I'm going to use as a long term solution.

My question is this: is Crossover a good option for me? I was hoping for something less costly, but yet I don't have a big problem with it. It is certainly user friendly, and it works!

What other Windows emulator programs are available? Using Crossover could not have been simpler, but for me it doesn't have to be a software designed for beginners as I am tech savvy. Another thing that helps me is that I am familiar with Linux, and there seems to be a good bit of similarity between Mac OS X and Linux.

If I do end up using Crossover, is paying the maintenance fee necessary? I'm assuming there's no support if the purchased support expires and you do not renew. Is it only the tech support that drops, or would I not get updates if I let the support expire?

Are there better options: more user-friendly, cheaper, more capabilities? What do you more experienced Mac users recommend?

thejasonhowell

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you have an extra copy of Windows lying around? Probably the easiest thing to do (which I think can be done) is a VM.

Or Boot Camp.

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I can install Windows on it. I have plenty of Windows licenses I can use. Actually the laptop I'm replacing with the MBP is still quite good. But there's only 1 program I need it for, and it would be a pain to have to boot into windows or switch to my PC just to use the program a couple times a week.

The program works perfectly with Crossover, so performance isn't an issue. I was primarily wondering if there are better options as far as emulators.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Boodev

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried Parallels? This should meet all your needs and its a remarkable piece of software, still continues to blow me away every time I use it.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
What other Windows emulator programs are available?

The two posts above this one pretty much nail the answers - Parallels and VirtualBox.

I myself am a big Parallels fan. It provides a virtual machine, and is really nicely integrated into MacOS. You can have a separate desktop for Windows, or your Windows windows can show up right next to your MacOS windows.

It's real money, though. The purchase gives you an indefinite license, but somehow I seem to wind up paying for the optional upgrades that get released around once a year.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have used them all and switched back and forth over the years. I have settled in VMWare Fusion. I feel at this time it works best for me.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Why you buy an overpriced laptop and then use windows

I don't want to use Windows; I only need to run one Windows program.

Have you tried Parallels? This should meet all your needs and its a remarkable piece of software, still continues to blow me away every time I use it.

I'm trying to avoid installing Windows if possible. Not that I have anything against Windows; I do not, at all. I just don't want to have to boot Windows the time or two a week I'll need to use the program. Running it inside an emulator makes it seem as if it's a Mac program. It even looks like one! It might be a little slower, but my Macbook has an SSD with 16GB RAM, so it's still very fast. :)

The Crossover emulator works fine, which is what I'll probably end up using. Thanks for your tips! If in the future I need to run Windows on my Macbook I have lots of info to use!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2