How often do you purchase a new Mac

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2014 MacBook Pro and I wanted to know, how long do you, the iMore readers wait before getting a new Mac, is it once the hardware becomes too outdated of when a new redesign comes out?

LMP_IOS

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I normally wait until the latest OS stops supporting the hardware or if it becomes too sluggish on its current hardware.

I'd probably weight it all up and maybe improve with a Solid State Drive and more RAM if I could though.

The great thing about Apple products is that they hold their value pretty well when it comes to selling.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm only on my second MacBook Pro. Got my first one back in 2010, which had a Core 2 Duo processor. I felt it was finally time to upgrade last year since it was starting to feel a little sluggish. No doubt if I got the 15", which had an i5 processor, I'd still be using it and content.

So now I'm using a late 2013 rMBP. Unless I come into plenty plenty of money in the near future, I'd be shocked if this doesn't last me at least another 3-4 years.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My 2007 MacBook still runs, but I wanted a desktop that wouldn't take hours to load, so I got an iMac last year. That would equate to seven years for me.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Not very often anymore.

I still have a 2008 black MacBook that I use occasionally. The battery swelled several years ago so I removed it and never replaced it. Apple no longer carries the battery in the store online though they may still have them in actual stores,

I bought a new 2012 i7 Mac Mini last September.

I have no plans to buy any current or future Mac till one of these break.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
This thread is one major reason I'm trying to get my friend to buy a MacBook over the Spectre x360. He's worried about buying a new laptop now and it slowing down and performing bad in a year or two. I told him a Mac will easily last him 4-5 years and when it is time to upgrade, the resale value will cover a good bit of his upgrade.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I was at BestBuy earlier today. They have the rMB in stock. And the 27" 5K iMac is beautiful. Sadly (from a "I want to upgrade" POV) both my 2010 white MB and my 15" 2012 rMBP are still working well.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Just put a ssd in my 2009 15" mbp and it's rocking along without problems. It flies! It's not as fast as the new mbp of course but it's plenty for me

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Used a 2011 MacBook Pro for three years before I felt it was too slow to suit my needs. I upgraded to a 15" inch Pro with retina display. Looking to get about another three years out of this one.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a 15" 2012 rMBP. I use the machine to its limits - software development, video editing, games, but still see no need to update now.

The only thing on the horizon is if SkyLake MBPs wind up supporting external 5k retina displays as some expect, I would upgrade for that. But that's at least a year away if it happens at all.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought mine new and it's a 15" early 2011 model. I won't upgrade until this one dies. It's still running strong.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought the mid 2012 MBA. I am debating if I am going to upgrade next year or not. It is still running strong, so I think I might wait until it is starting to struggle to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought the mid 2012 MBA. I am debating if I am going to upgrade next year or not. It is still running strong, so I think I might wait until it is starting to struggle to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were you, I'd either hold out until the Air gets a retina display (unlikely) or the MacBook gets a processor in line with the Air.

shockjay

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I bought my first MacBook Pro in March 2014. With a recently purchased iPhone 6 I plan in keeping this for at least 5-6 years.

Like some other iMore users, I have a 2 TB external drive that should keep it running just fine.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
My first Mac was one of the original iMacs. It ran for 9 years before it finally crapped out. Then I got a 2007 MacBook that I upgraded late 2011 with a MacBook Pro. The 2007 MacBook is still running strong though. I gave it to my mom, and she's still using it. My 2011 MBP is still running just fine, but I'm looking into getting a new one. Not sure if I'm going with the rMB or a rMBP. I know I don't want a MBA because of the lack of retina. I opted for the faster processor, more RAM, and higher resolution on apple.com with my current MBP. I don't use all the power it's got under the hood, but there's no way I'm going down in resolution.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner