MBP or iPhone/iPad Combo?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I've wanted a MacBook Pro for years, but have been intimidated by their priciness...and my doubts that maybe I didn't do enough "real computer work" to justify the price even if I could afford one. My general computer work pretty much consists of surfing the web, social media and the like.

I have an iPhone 6 & an iPad Air...and they do all the above effectively, but when I do have to type a longer email or post, I pretty much hate typing on their virtual glass keyboards. And, when I find something on the internet that I want to print and save...I don't really have the ability with either one of those devices.

So...lately I've been thinking more and more about buying a real Mac, and a MacBook Pro is what I've been exploring. I have found a like new 2014 Retina model for what sounds like a reasonable (for a MBP) $800 and I'm close to pulling the trigger. But, I wanted some feedback here to help me before I do...or don't.

How many here have the iPhone/iPad combo, and do the same things that I do...and that has kept them from owning a MacBook? Anybody here sold their MacBooks in favor of an iPad because of ease of use, and the realization that they don't do enough "real computer stuff" to justify the additional machine? I just don't want to shell out the $800 and have the MBPr sit and collect dust while I use the iPhone/iPad combo exclusively.

Or...am I over-thinking this whole thing?:laughing:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the iPad iPhone and a MacBook Pro- first that sounds like a great price. Second I use my MacBook more for work and doing word processing that's easier on the MacBook. Mostly iPad is for web surfing. I personally think each has its place

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I also have all three. These days I find I use the phone and the MBP a lot, and the iPad infrequently. I find that having the iPhone 6 with its larger display means that I do a lot on the phone that I used to pull out the iPad for.

Personally, I can't do real work on an iPad, even with an external keyboard. I miss a mouse for precisely positioning the cursor and find touch awkward when the iPad is sitting upright. But I know others do just fine.

Dr Noon

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Iphone-ipad combo arent replacment for mac.. You never can do all of their works with other.. You can buy midrang mac and midrange iphone. Or buy high range mac and low level iphone. Or high range iphone and low evel mac.. Or buy one of them used..

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
If your major concerns are only typing longer emails/documents, printing, and saving files then you can just get a keyboard cover for your iPad (Anker has a good one that is reasonably priced), a wireless printer, and then use one of the various cloud services to save your files. You can get all of these things for under $100. The $800 for the laptop will only be a great deal if you use it. Otherwise you will just have one expensive paperweight.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have all three and use my iPad most, iPhone second, and MacBook least.

The iPad is for pretty much everything while I'm at home.

The iPhone is obviously for when I'm out and can't take my iPad with me.

MacBook is for the very few things I need to do that my iPad can't, mostly playing Minecraft and backing up my iOS devices.

I could honestly get by without a computer. I enjoy using my iPad a lot more than my other devices. I'm even great at typing on the iPad's keyboard in landscape. If you've been getting by without a MacBook this entire time, I don't see why you can't keep doing it. $800 is a lot to pay to find out if you really need one, but if you have nothing else to spend the money on, I'd say go for it. A new gadget is always fun, and you may find yourself not needing the iPad anymore.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2