Give me one reason why should I go for an MBP 15 retina

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty much impressed with the 15 inch MBP retina. After using iPads, I don't find Apple OS any way suprior or inferior to Windows, but different. Yes the GUI in Mac good (maybe because after working on Windows, I find it different, therefore excited) and the number of applications available in the store are amazing.

But over my existing HP Envy 15, how will an MBP 15 be helpful to me in terms of.

1) Productivity
2) Entertainment
3) Education (I always carry my laptop in my MBA classes and use OneNote. The only challenge in laptop is making block diagrams) and
4) And other daily life activities

Things that I admire about MBP is the design, retina display and the amazing GUI. The retina display will definitely make it feel better compared to my HP Envy laptop and the fact, that Mac doesn't have virus.

My colleagues, who are iOS developers always tempt me to buy an MBP, they gave me several examples, to show the life will become much easier by switching to Mac. I am an IT professional, so it won't take more than a day or 2 for me to get used to Mac. But will it overall help me, that I will consider a WOW factor?

princessiphone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
You'll probably keep your Mac for five plus years and five years from now it will still be as fast as the day you bought it with no viruses.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're already in IT, and you've had numerous people (your colleagues) give their personal opinions in regard to the MBP. There is no guarantee that you will be wowed or even prefer the MBP over your current machine. Furthermore, being in IT, you've already stated that it wouldn't take but a day or two to get acclimated so what else do you need? Go to a nearby Apple Store or Best Buy and experiment with one and then decided if you should get it or not. It's YOUR money, YOUR time, and YOUR decision to make.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Get it and run windows as a VM or with Parallels. I do it and only really miss Steam games. They run like *** in Parallels.

Sent from my iPhone while texting and driving in reverse.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty much impressed with the 15 inch MBP retina. After using iPads, I don't find Apple OS any way suprior or inferior to Windows, but different. Yes the GUI in Mac good (maybe because after working on Windows, I find it different, therefore excited) and the number of applications available in the store are amazing.

But over my existing HP Envy 15, how will an MBP 15 be helpful to me in terms of.

1) Productivity
2) Entertainment
3) Education (I always carry my laptop in my MBA classes and use OneNote. The only challenge in laptop is making block diagrams) and
4) And other daily life activities

Things that I admire about MBP is the design, retina display and the amazing GUI. The retina display will definitely make it feel better compared to my HP Envy laptop and the fact, that Mac doesn't have virus.

My colleagues, who are iOS developers always tempt me to buy an MBP, they gave me several examples, to show the life will become much easier by switching to Mac. I am an IT professional, so it won't take more than a day or 2 for me to get used to Mac. But will it overall help me, that I will consider a WOW factor?

SMH. Why should we convince you what's best for YOU? No thanks. Not gonna bite on this one. As a self-professed IT professional, you should be capable of making this decision yourself.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
SMH. Why should we convince you what's best for YOU? No thanks. Not gonna bite on this one. As a self-professed IT professional, you should be capable of making this decision yourself.

My current laptop is just fine, despite having top notch specs (4th generation Core i7 Quod core processor, 8GB RAM, nVidia GTX 730 and full HD Screen). I will keep my current laptop. Its not that if I get an MBP, I will sell my current laptop. Once the price of 1TB SSD goes down, then I can replace the HDD, thus giving it brand new look and feel

Although with Windows laptops there are always bloatwares, which always suck, makes the laptop slow and create issue while working on, and I've seen that we don't come across these issues with an MBP.

I use my laptop not for gaming, but other day to day purpose, like

1) Browsing internet
2) For taking notes in my MBA classes
3) Other office works using Word, Excel etc
4) Watching videos on youtube
5) When I travel, I watch movies in the laptop.

Being an IT professional, my colleagues who are doing iPhone programming, simply said that an iMac will make my life easier with the above mentioned tasks.

He gave me an example that in Windows if I have to capture and record the tasks that I am doing and save it in some video file, I have to download some 3rd party application, and that application isn't that much handy. However, in case of Mac, it has an inbuilt utility and not only the whole screen, I can also capture some portion of the screen or application, and record it. That was just one example, they said that in other ways Mac can make the lives easier.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I am in IT as well. For what you listed in your top 5 you are not going to see much of a difference between your current computer and the Mac Pro. Those are basic computing needs that can honestly be done on any computer, even a Chromebook. It would be different if you were doing videography, photography and CAD.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You already have a computer that is more than powerful enough to do all the things you want to do. Don't get a MacBook.

Wildleaf

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
It is impossible to give any definite recommendations. Any computer (Mac or Win) do all the things you want to do.

I got MBP 15 Retina (Late 2013 with GTX750 on board) and this what i think about it:
1. The first acquaintance with the operating system went smoothly and interesting. 2-3 weeks to get used .
2. Almost all applications (phone book entries, pictures and many others) instantly synchronized with each other (if you have iPhone and iPad ). It is convenient.
3. Due to the fact that I often have to draw in Illustrator - amazing picture on Retina display very pleasing to the eye.
4. I stopped playing games on the MacBook :) more time to work
5. This is Apple, it is a quality product with a stunning design.
6. Very important: I'm still delighted with him

I recommend for purchase.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I own one that I use for basic productivity (Office) and software development (Unity).
  • Astonishingly high hardware quality. Best trackpad, best display and best keyboard on any laptop. Once you've had a retina display, you can't go back.
  • Very high-quality productivity apps that don't exist under Windows. Things, OmniFocus, OmniGraffle, Keynote to name a few.
  • Good balance between power, battery life, weight and build quality.
  • Decent gaming machine - not as good as a dedicated Windows gaming laptop, but there's a good and increasing selection of games that play well.

John Crist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
My Mac's are the only laptops that rarely fail for me, and as a wedding photographer it's imperative that my equipment have near perfect uptime. Apple is the only manufacturer that's allowed me to bring my 2011 MBP, well out of warranty, to a store to have it serviced on the spot for free or nearly free. AT WORST I paid $300 to have it overnighted to a service center and overnighted back to me for a full main board replacement. Find me another manufacturer that will do that for you for a 4 year old laptop.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
My Mac's are the only laptops that rarely fail for me, and as a wedding photographer it's imperative that my equipment have near perfect uptime. Apple is the only manufacturer that's allowed me to bring my 2011 MBP, well out of warranty, to a store to have it serviced on the spot for free or nearly free. AT WORST I paid $300 to have it overnighted to a service center and overnighted back to me for a full main board replacement. Find me another manufacturer that will do that for you for a 4 year old laptop.

I had the same experience except that later they found that it was a defect and refunded the entire repair cost. HP and others in the same situation deny defects despite hard evidence and lots of upset customers stuck with broken machines. If you go budget you take a huge risk.

One caution, get as much as you possibly can afford. It is getting increasingly harder to upgrade the machines yourself (not impossible) and Apple doesn't usually take repair work on mod'ed hardware - even non warranty, paid repairs. They don't want the responsibility of backing a repair on user tinkered machines.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Also they may be more expensive but they also remain useful for several years longer then cheaper alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why we need to give you a reason to buy anything. If you want it and can afford it then buy it.

Sent from my iPhone 6

John Crist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
One caution, get as much as you possibly can afford. It is getting increasingly harder to upgrade the machines yourself (not impossible) and Apple doesn't usually take repair work on mod'ed hardware - even non warranty, paid repairs. They don't want the responsibility of backing a repair on user tinkered machines.

This. If you are wanting 8GB of RAM but think it might be nice to have 16GB, GET 16GB!!! You can't upgrade it after the fact anymore. If you're getting a dual-core i5 but think you'll do some video editing, even just a little bit, GET THE i7!!! Again, once you hit purchase, that's IT. It's worth it to save for a few more weeks to get more than you need than to discover you need it and don't have it after a $1500+ purchase.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234