I just put a ssd in my mid 2012 MacBook pro and don't know what to do when or before i turn it back

mohawk apple

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I just finished installing the ssd, but I'm not sure what I have to do now lol. I didn't back nothing up, do I just power on my MB? Thanks for any help

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Didn't do a back-up? Really?? That is an essential step in the process... You'll need to find a way to get your old drive powered up and accessible via USB to access your data... And a means of installing OSX on the new drive...that can be done via an online restore, memory stick with an OSX install file...

mohawk apple

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Didn't do a back-up? Really?? That is an essential step in the process... You'll need to find a way to get your old drive powered up and accessible via USB to access your data... And a means of installing OSX on the new drive...that can be done via an online restore, memory stick with an OSX install file...

No i didn't do a back up,wasn't sure how lol new guy here. So theres no way of starting my MBP with out my old drive powered up? I mean i can't start fresh like as if i just bought it from a apple store? thanks for the reply!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The most efficient way is to put the old drive back in the MBP, connect the SSD to the computer using some sort of caddy and using a tool like SuperDuper to clone the old drive onto the new SSD, then swap the drives. Now you have the SSD in the computer and a complete backup.

mohawk apple

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The most efficient way is to put the old drive back in the MBP, connect the SSD to the computer using some sort of caddy and using a tool like SuperDuper to clone the old drive onto the new SSD, then swap the drives. Now you have the SSD in the computer and a complete backup.
Why is it nessasary to have done a back up? cause i don't mind loosing my data, didn't really have much on my machine.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
No i didn't do a back up,wasn't sure how lol new guy here. So theres no way of starting my MBP with out my old drive powered up? I mean i can't start fresh like as if i just bought it from a apple store? thanks for the reply!

When you get a new Mac, there’s a recovery partition on your hard drive - that is used to recover the OS and set it up as new. There is no such partition on your new SSD. To do what you want to do, the way you want to do it, you will need to do an internet recovery.

This link should help:

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

stang2009

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Can he/she just boot into safe mode and redownload the OS? To go into safe mode press command R I think. You'll need wireless internet access.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR