Macbook Pro 15 Retina Review -- 9 Months Later

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I haven't felt as compelled as I have ever before to write a review of any electronic device that I've owned as much as I have my Macbook Pro. Its got a 15" Retina display, a 2.0ghz Core i7 quad, 8gb DDR3 RAM, and a 256gb SSD, and Iris Pro graphics just to get the specs out of the way.

So where do I get started?

Let me tell you first and foremost that I'm a full time student. I am a commuter to and from campus on a daily basis. Mostly driving and darting off to class. At the beginning of my last semester I was faced with a choice: to pick up a Macbook Pro 15 or an iMac 21" with an iPad mini to accompany it. I chose the latter.

I hadn't had a computer this big in quite a while so I was skeptical at first. My previous machine that I was coming from was a Macbook Pro 13 that was quite clunky and dated. Needless to say I was impressed with the fact that my laptop with a bigger screen weighed less than my 13. I knew I had made the right choice.

From a performance standpoint, the machine blew my mind from the moment I turned it on. Instant boot time is something that I had not been used to coming from a hard drive with a measly 5400 rpm. Over the course of the last nine months this computer has handled absolutely everything that I have thrown at it. Countless pages of papers and presentations have been hammered out on the keyboard. Not even to mention the countless lines of code that I've pounded out as a computer science major. A few videos and pictures edited here and there. Maybe a spreadsheet or two thrown into the fray.

From the occasional to the binge League of Legends playing, I have been nothing short of impressed with the performance out of this computer. Leaving for the entire day for class I wouldn't even think twice about leaving the heavy charger behind. It simply doesn't need it. I can play LoL between classes, stream music, take notes, and work on homework for every class with battery power left to spare. And I'm talking a substantial amount after heavy use.

And you can trust me when I say heavy use. I'm a major nerd/student who is chained to his electronic devices. Nights spent out late in the computer lab after I've forgotten to charge it after a couple days--hoping that 12% will last through the rest of the paper I'm in the middle of writing and being surprised that it still has a trickle of juice to spare.

Instant sleep and wake. All day battery life. A beautiful, crisp display. Multitasking with nearly every application on my dock was not even a sweat broken.

What I'm trying to say is this: if you're looking for a good workhorse, look no further. When it comes to getting things done when you have to be mobile, this is it. Some may say the 13 is the the ultimate road warrior/commuter laptop, but I beg to differ. This is the best computer I've ever owned by a far cry.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox