Office 365 contacts on a MacBook

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure that this is something simple I'm missing.
I've added my Office 365 account, as Exchange to my MacBook Pro (the latest OS). Contacts is selected in the account settings, albeit, when using iMessage, none of my Contacts names show up to thus send an iMessage to.

Have I set it up wrong, or is there an issue with Office 365? Thanks in advance

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
The built in app. One has to pay for the Outlook app, no?
I'll buy it once I've gotten used to this MAC, and confirmed I'm keeping it. To be honest, I have a beast of a Windows computer (Z600 WorkStation), I could simply add VM's to that. So far, this MAC has been a 24 hour roller coaster to get used...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
True, albeit, I think it is dependent on the type of Office 365 plan that one has. I have an Exchange Online Plan 1 account. From recollection, with that one you don't get 'office apps'.
Albeit, this whole thing is frustrating to say the least. Microsoft have no idea, and Apple are as miffed. I do believe it is the MAC OS causing this issue...

I have Office 365 and you get all the Office products to download on your phone, tablet and PC or Mac.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that stinks. I use the webmail for everything anyway. I don't even use outlook except for work.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Update:
I'm a first time MAC user as of 29th November. And the first issue I came across was my Office 365 (Enterprise Plan 1) Contacts not syncing with my MacBook.

The Contacts works fine with an iPad Air and iPhone 6 Plus, just not a MacBook. And, to confirm, it doesn't work with Mavericks or Yosemite (10.10 or 10.10.1).
I've spent countless hours on the phone with Apple and Microsoft. Both are saying the issue is with the other.
Based on the test I've performed thus far, the issue seems to be with Microsoft.

Why?

I have an Outlook.com account, too. I can't even set that up as an Exchange on the MacBook. The one time I was lucky to do so, the same issue with Contacts, it wouldn't sync.

Getting this resolved will be interesting...

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I use Outlook for Mac/iPhone and I experience none of the issues you are describing. Of course, I have Office 365 (monthly payments) which might be the reason?...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I appreciate the comment. I wonder if the issue is related to the TYPE of Office 365 account. Mine is a subscription, monthly, Enterprise Plan 1. With that, I don't get the use of Office applications. Albeit, now I wish I did...

I use Outlook for Mac/iPhone and I experience none of the issues you are describing. Of course, I have Office 365 (monthly payments) which might be the reason?...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Also, being nosy. Do you simply not have them loaded just because, or?

I have a personal outlook.com account and a work Office 365 account (not sure what type). I don't actually have either settings up on my MacBook at the moment. I'll try setting them up a when I get home and see what happens.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Outlook Office on my Macbook Air. I have an Exchange account (via work), and Office 365 account at home (the only way to get Outlook Office for the Mac is by having an active Office 365 account). I get all my contacts at home on my Mac and my Calendar/emails sync flawlessly. I hope this makes things a bit clearer.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to you BOTH!. This really helps. The issues seems to be more and more related to having Office 365 Enterprise Plan 1, versus an Office 365 Business Premium, or similar account.

I may upgrade my Office 365 Plan, and see what happens. Either that, or buy Office MAC :)

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help. Thus far I've experienced a few issues here and there. Time to return the Macbook. I'll stick with my current desktop and upgrade certain components...

UPDATE:
MacBook returned, back to Windows 8.1; for now...

Last edited:

bmanz

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
The simple fix I have found is to go onto the Office365 web app and under People click "Add as a contact" on each person. This will allow your Mac to sync to an Exchange account and show in the Contacts app.

It's ridiculous because all company contacts should be my contacts. Just another example of MS stupidity. They will annoy so many people at some point they will not have a business.

Using Office365 commercial (business) edition. Not sure exactly what one.