HELP!! MacBook Pro (2012) vs MacBook Air (2014) HELP!!!

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am getting my wife a MacBook for Christmas this year and this is the dilemma I am in. I can get a MacBook Pro (i5 3rd gen/500gb) or the Air (i5 4th gen/128gb). They both are similar in price right now with all the sales. Although the Air is newer, it's hardware is what it is. When talking to a local Apple rep he mentioned that the 2012 MacBook Pro can have hardware upgrades. So that being said, I plan to change the HDD to SSD in the near future and upgrade the RAM. If I go that route, does this make the Pro a better option than the newer Air? Or should I get her the Air still? Does the Haswell make that much difference over the Ivy Bridge? Keep in mind this is my wife, which is by no means a power user, but I would like to keep her future proof with a Mac as long as I can, hence the upgrade in hardware I would do later.

Your opinions please.

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Rene.

I guess my concern is how much longer will the 2012 MBP be viable vs. the Air? Should that be something I should consider moving forward. Guess that was my question about the Haswell vs. Ivy Bridge.

Thank you for the link.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73