Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

120 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

Default macbook pro 13" Screen flicker

Hello all a few months ago I purchased a macbook Pro 13" and the machine has been great short of the slow hard drive (coming from someone who has gotten spoiled with SSDs), but as of last week I did a clean installation of Mavericks and noticed something a little weird, Every time I boot my laptop up, I get a weird flickering on my screen right after the Apple logo but just before the log in screen, once I am logged in no issues, wake from sleep no issues, just when I start up the machine, and my bootcamp of Windows 7 shows not signs of this when I boot to it, my Question to all you wise folks is: Have you ever had this occurred or perhaps heard of this issue, if so what have you done to resolve this issues and if not then perhaps one of you might know of any documentation that you could point me towards, I've Searched for many result to this issue and have come up on forums with no response, so I figured i would try Imore since its pretty much been my new Home for IOS and Mac devices since my switch from Android.

Thank You for any Help in advance.

Default Re: macbook pro 13" Screen flicker

I have not noticed any screen flickering during boot up on my MacBook running OS X Mavericks, but I am also not dual booting it with Windows or any other OS. Having said that, if your system works as it should once booted up, I wouldn't worry about it. Furthermore, you can always make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store and have them troubleshoot it for you...
    iMore Expert

930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts

Default Re: macbook pro 13" Screen flicker

Agree Genius Bar is a good option. If you're inclined, running Apple Hardware Test ( Using Apple Hardware Test ) may be worth it to see if there may be anything else contributing to the problem.

I recently had major screen flicker, distorted screen images and desktop, and horizontal lines on main display. Ran Apple Hardware Test and it pointed to bad RAM. Since my model (early 2011) also has reports of a potentially faulty GPU (this Google search gives an idea https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8), I was concerned about that.

Even though my system was out of warranty, I took it into my local Apple Store. After explaining the symptoms and stating that AHT found bad RAM, they ran in store diagnostics with their test tool suite free of charge. The testing confirmed that RAM was bad. So, I bought replacement RAM (both modules to be sure I have 100% known good RAM). Installed the new RAM on Weds night. So far, so good. Long story, but sharing in the event it helps as sometimes issue root causes may not be as straight forward as they sometimes seem.