Should I buy the 15" Retina 2.3 GHZ 512 GB RAM or wait for 2014 MBPr lineup?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I have a 2010 13" MBP 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo. It is almost four years old, and recently I've had a lot of work done to it (upgraded RAM and Storage Capacity, fixed a Virus that corrupted Mavericks and had to be reinstalled, and replaced the battery).

I could either pay $600 to get a Solid State Drive or buy the 15" Retina 2.3 GHZ 5125 GB RAM or wait until the 2014 MBPr lineup is announced, either at WWDC 2014 or in October.

Any suggestions would be great!

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB Wifi + Cellular. Both devices are using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you spend your life waiting for the next thing to be announced, you'll always be waiting...

Get what you want... Now... and use it. If you really want the new thing when it comes out - sell the one you got, and put the money towards the new one.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Broadwell won't be out until 2015, so there's really no point in waiting for this year's model. They'll probably get higher clock speeds, but nothing else will be improved. Might as well get it now...

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
If you spend your life waiting for the next thing to be announced, you'll always be waiting...

Get what you want... Now... and use it. If you really want the new thing when it comes out - sell the one you got, and put the money towards the new one.

THIS. There's always something better around the corner, so why wait? If it were closer to the holiday season, I'd say wait. But the rMBPs probably won't get any major upgrades.

Broadwell won't be out until 2015, so there's really no point in waiting for this year's model. They'll probably get higher clock speeds, but nothing else will be improved. Might as well get it now...

This too. I've read that Broadwell chips will be ready by this holiday season, and Apple still hast to adopt them into their MBPs. So no significant upgrades until the holiday season at the soonest, next year at the latest.

For what it's worth, I'm also considering getting a 15-in rMBP 512 GB model. Did some research and read some forums. General consensus is to get it now, since they won't be updated with new chips until much later. So I'm probably going to buy one fairly soon. Can't stand this PC any longer lol.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
THIS. There's always something better around the corner, so why wait? If it were closer to the holiday season, I'd say wait. But the rMBPs probably won't get any major upgrades.

This too. I've read that Broadwell chips will be ready by this holiday season, and Apple still hast to adopt them into their MBPs. So no significant upgrades until the holiday season at the soonest, next year at the latest.

For what it's worth, I'm also considering getting a 15-in rMBP 512 GB model. Did some research and read some forums. General consensus is to get it now, since they won't be updated with new chips until much later. So I'm probably going to buy one fairly soon. Can't stand this PC any longer lol.

Do it 😀
I bought a 13 inch rMBP after returning two Windows ultrabooks which were supposed to be competitors. Loving it so far 👍

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Do it 😀
I bought a 13 inch rMBP after returning two Windows ultrabooks which were supposed to be competitors. Loving it so far 👍

I really want to find an ultra book that is better than the rMBP....but I can't:D

I want a Windows laptop for gaming but the amazing speakers, metal build, screen, lightness and thinness are keeping me on it.
I wish Apple would put dedicated cards in the 13" MBP's for GPU's. But that said iris is surprisingly good.

Posted via iMore App

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I really want to find an ultra book that is better than the rMBP....but I can't:D

I want a Windows laptop for gaming but the amazing speakers, metal build, screen, lightness and thinness are keeping me on it.
I wish Apple would put dedicated cards in the 13" MBP's for GPU's. But that said iris is surprisingly good.

Posted via iMore App

I'd imagine the 13 inch rMBP would be able to cook eggs if you used a dGPU for gaming on it. There's a cost for keeping it so darn thin. 😜

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd imagine the 13 inch rMBP would be able to cook eggs if you used a dGPU for gaming on it. There's a cost for keeping it so darn thin. ��

The Razer Blade is pretty much just as thin. It has a 760m with 2GB dedicated! But iris gets 1GB dedicated so thats cool:D

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The Razer Blade is pretty much just as thin. It has a 760m with 2GB dedicated! But iris gets 1GB dedicated so thats cool:D

The Razer Blade gets extremely hot, and battery life is awful 😜
I believe the new model has a GT860M btw

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it actually super bad? Battery wise? Heat isn't an issue.

I've heard it gets 5 tops in the best conditions, which to me sounds like very low brightness and nothing intensive. 2-3 seems to be the norm for most users, and less than 1 when gaming.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I've heard it gets 5 tops in the best conditions, which to me sounds like very low brightness and nothing intensive. 2-3 seems to be the norm for most users, and less than 1 when gaming.

Really means Apple has built the best notebook for all it has. and also for the price.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I need to find a good laptop that can game..

Posted via iMore App

Oh, there's plenty. But none will have great battery life 😜
A fairly cheap one would be the Sager NP7338. It has a quad-core i7 and a GT860M for around $1,000.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I need to find a good laptop that can game..

Posted via iMore App

Depends on what other aspects you value.

There are plenty of capable gaming laptops out there. However most of them can be considered 'desktop replacements' in that they're quite thick and heavy and don't have the greatest (i.e. poor) battery life. However if your priorities are a great gaming machine that you can throw in a backpack and can be by a power source when in use, then go for it. There's always a cost and a trade off for everything, though.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what other aspects you value.

There are plenty of capable gaming laptops out there. However most of them can be considered 'desktop replacements' in that they're quite thick and heavy and don't have the greatest (i.e. poor) battery life. However if your priorities are a great gaming machine that you can throw in a backpack and can be by a power source when in use, then go for it. There's always a cost and a trade off for everything, though.

Yeah. I've realised that my rMBP is the perfect machine. The iris can game for what I play and it's so damn portable for college...

I've kept the rMBP. It's amazing.

Posted via iMore App

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2