Are older MacBooks still a good investment?

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I was able to get my hands on a Late 2008 MacBook Pro (my first macbook computer finally!) with 2 GHz for a hell of a bargain. 300 dollars for it, it's mainly for school and browsing the internet and letting my little brother play mine craft on it.

As far as the computer itself goes by specs, was it a good investment? Also how good is this computer with editing videos on iMovie and light gaming? Minecraft, happy wheels, rob lox and such?

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
As others have said, for $300 that's not bad. Performance probably won't be very good unless you upgrade the hardware though.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Kat 4.4.2

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
So i thought a little more about what you all said and decided to splurge a little more. sold the laptop and got me a macbook pro late 2010 2.4 GHz 360 GB a nice deal. hopefully it'll be sufficient for editing videos and such.

perttime

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what exactly you want to do with it.
I'd draw the line at being able to upgrade to the latest OS. Some latest apps might not work properly on 10.6.8 or older. Apple has a page for checking if your hardware can take the free upgrade from "Snow Leopard" to "Mavericks".

icebubba

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm running Mavericks on my late 2008 Macbook Aluminum with no issues. I don't stress it with video editing though.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

rgough305

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't, I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and I'm one of the many with blown logic boards that Apple won't acknowledge is an issue. I'll never buy another MacBook.

Farish

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I had a 2009 Macbook that in 2012 I popped in a ssd that gave it new life. Don't worry about benchmarks on the SSD that much as the 2008 model has an older, slower sata port. One other thing, if you do this, you will need a 3rd party software to install trim on the ssd.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you're only using the system for casual use: web browsing, media playback, office work, etc. these older Macbooks still handle that stuff like a pro. The only major issue with buying a laptop that old is the battery life may be significantly impacted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods