What happens on lid open/closed vs sleep command?

David Erato

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
mid-2010 Macbook Pro. I recently added an SSD and did a clean install of Mavericks. This issue predated the recent install, though the lid open problem seems to have gotten worse.

Basically, it used to take a while to wake once the MBP went to sleep, either if it went to sleep lid open or if we closed it. Most of the time it would take minutes, and sometimes recently it would take hard reboots (and even then I would get stuck in a weird non-responsive state). Now it doesn't want to wake up at all if the lid is closed.

I have reset PRAM and SMC. Turned off " Put Hard disks to sleep when possible" used terminal to change the hibernation mode to this:
pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1*
AC Power -1
Currently in use:
hibernatemode 0
acwake 0
lidwake 1
halfdim 1
sleep 180
ttyskeepawake 1
sms 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
disksleep 0
displaysleep 2

The last bit I have not done yet that seems to have helped users in the past was to turn off "Secure Virtual Memory" which is no longer a GUI option, but probably a terminal command.

Since I have made those adjustments above, it wakes fine after given the sleep command (Apple Menu, or short press of power button).

Any thoughts as to what is supposed to happen when you open the lid, and is there a solution to fixing it?

Thanks.
SWD is online now Report Post

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't use a sleep command, but when I close the lid on my MacBook (early 2009 model), it enters sleep mode. When I open the lid, it exits sleep mode.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2