Why am I getting this screen ?

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Shortly after I got my MBP a few months back it would occasionally start up with this screen. I would hear the super drive make noise like it was loading a disc and then I would get this grey screen. It would take about 20 seconds before it went away and I could sign in. It has been happening more and more and has gotten to the point where it does it almost every time I go to start it up. This is my first Mac product and I'm extremely happy with it, but this just doesn't seem right. Also I've been seeing the spinning beach ball more and more lately. If any one can tell me why this is happing and steps I can take to fix I would be very grateful.

IMG_0893.jpg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm not understanding something, but the screen you have pictured just looks like the sign in screen if you have a password set for access to your machine.

Not sure what the little bars on the bottom are all about, it almost seems like the wake progress bar when the computer has been asleep or when the battery completely dies and is plugged into a power source.

Typically though, slow start ups are either caused by failing drives or a need to restore the OS on it...but it's kind of hard to pin point what you're issue is based on the general info you've given.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm not understanding something, but the screen you have pictured just looks like the sign in screen if you have a password set for access to your machine.

Not sure what the little bars on the bottom are all about, it almost seems like the wake progress bar when the computer has been asleep or when the battery completely dies and is plugged into a power source.

Typically though, slow start ups are either caused by failing drives or a need to restore the OS on it...but it's kind of hard to pin point what you're issue is based on the general info you've given.
My sentiments exactly...:)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When you hear that super drive making noise like that, make sure the computer isn't getting hot either. I know exactly what sound you're talking about because it reminded me of my Windows laptop days.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had an appointment at the Genius bar at the local Apple store today and was told that because I was putting my MBP to sleep with certain programs running it was causing lag when I went to start it back up. I'm getting ready to upgrade to 16GB of RAM which I hope will help with the overall performance of my MBP.

16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch and 15-inch, Mid 2012) Laptop/Notebook, CT3373650 from Crucial.com

That's good. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
It's called Safe Sleep Mode. What's happening is that your battery is running down to zero. Right before it loses power completely, the Mac writes out the contents of memory to the hard drive. When you turn it back on and it begins to charge back up, the Mac knows to copy that file back into memory before it gets started again, so it can pick up where you left off. It can happen under other circumstances too. Here's an Apple tech note describing how it works:

Mac computers: Progress bar appears after waking from sleep

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
It's called Safe Sleep Mode. What's happening is that your battery is running down to zero. Right before it loses power completely, the Mac writes out the contents of memory to the hard drive. When you turn it back on and it begins to charge back up, the Mac knows to copy that file back into memory before it gets started again, so it can pick up where you left off. It can happen under other circumstances too. Here's an Apple tech note describing how it works:

Mac computers: Progress bar appears after waking from sleep

Thanks for the link Peter. I have a mid 2012 MBP. I never let the battery run down to zero and after reading the info in the link I realized it was happening when I would leave my MBP plugged in for more than four hours, it usually happened in the morning and since I didn't charge it overnight all the time this is why it was sporadic. I probably didn't need to upgrade my memory but I did. I went from 4gb to 16gb and what a difference. Programs open up so much quicker and I can have a ton of stuff open with no lag. I'm very happy with Crucial.com.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll