iMessage doesn't stay synced with iPhone...regularly falls behind 2-3min.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So for some time I was getting pretty decent performance when it comes to sync between my iMessage on my MBP and my iPhone...in the last couple of weeks though, I've noticed that it regularly doesn't stay synced, and my iPhone will receive messages that my MBP won't get for as much as 5min.

Network connection is perfect...but i did try other connections to see if that was the case (which it wasn't).

Computer is running newest firmware, as is the iPhone (and my iPad mini as well, which stays synced properly 99% of the time).

...I've gone online and really just found BS as far as what to "try"...so wanted to tap some of you guys to see what your experiences have been and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sean, I haven't enabled iMessage on my Macbook since I erased the hard drive and reinstalled the OS trying to troubleshoot display-related problems I was having. Having said that, I will re-enable it a little later and test it out, and then get back to you with my findings.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Right now it is perfectly synced...running shot for shot between the iPhone and MBP as soon as a message comes in. This is something that happens irregularly, which makes me think it might have something to do with the way the MBP pushes for iMessages, because the iPhone is obviously the first device to get them.

Just weird...because it doesn't have a consistency at all, or any time related frequency.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Right now it is perfectly synced...running shot for shot between the iPhone and MBP as soon as a message comes in. This is something that happens irregularly, which makes me think it might have something to do with the way the MBP pushes for iMessages, because the iPhone is obviously the first device to get them.

Just weird...because it doesn't have a consistency at all, or any time related frequency.
Oh okay. Thanks for the update...:)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
mine has NEVER been synced, actually. If my phone is current then my computer isn't. If my computer is, my phone isn't. I haven't quite figured out why that is, honestly.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I can have my 5s and Air right next to each other and one will get messages before the other. I never thought anything of it.

via the tablet

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've ran into this problem a few times with my MBPr and iPads. The only time I have never, ever had these syncing problems is if my iPad (which ever one I've had) had a cellular connection to it. And I mean it worked 100% of the time on a cellular connection. Anything that is only Wifi connected has synced well for the most part. But I run into that issue occasionally.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
iMessage on my MacBook Air seldom deletes messages that I've deleted on my iPhone 5S or my iPad.
Always been like this.

Good Luck

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Today my MBP is ~ 5 hrs out of sync with the iPhone. Last "synced" message is 1253. Plenty of iMessages with the same person who has iMessage (and the one referenced at 1253) after this timestamp. No messages past 1253 show up in the MBP's Messages.

I haven't researched further past making this hypothesis - perhaps with the MBP asleep, messages do not get synced while in that state. Messages app on the MBP has been open/active the entire day, and actually I leave it open all the time (either in use or in the app tray).

The_colombian

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you using a phone number or email address as your default mode of sending messages?
I'm just trying to help trouble shoot, don't have any idea why it's slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you using a phone number or email address as your default mode of sending messages?
I'm just trying to help trouble shoot, don't have any idea why it's slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried both methods...and have not seen any common improvement in either case.

What I have noticed frequently now though is that the function, once synced, seems to stay synced as long as my Macbook is "awake". Once my macbook goes into sleep mode (for whatever reason...closing the case, idle time, dead battery), the sync falls away, and it seems to take quite a while to get it back in check. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but I have noticed it frequent enough to report it.