Input on a Macbook Pro

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So, this year I am FINALLY going to buy the new machine. I've put it off twice now, because my iMac still was fine. But it's gotten to the poitn where I need a newer machine AND I want the ability to work outside of just my office at home.

I did a bit of a customization on a Macbook Pro 15" retina with quadcore, maxing pretty much everything out, and it was around $3800 (with superdrive and applecare,etc) It still seemed a little...er...slow for me at that rate comparing to a maxed out iMac.

I need to run CreativeSuite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, LightRoom, etc) constantly, that's the primary use. So this sucker needs to keep up and last me a few years. Preferably 5 which is how my iMac has gone, actually I am in year 6 I think with this?

My biggest concern besides power and speed are that I need more USB connections...I saw that you can buy an external daisy chain setup to get more of those, but not having as many as I need is kind of a concern. Though I am debating a new printer that will be wireless if I can find a laser one that is wireless friendly.

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Price:$3,299.00
Hardware
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Accessory Kit
Software
Pages, Numbers, Keynote
iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand
OS X

This is how it's configured at max--Thoughts?

Also- would I be able to connect the laptop to the iMac and use the iMac as a monitor later?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Awesome device at a decent price. As for the latter question, I don't know...:)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just am not sure about the specs. I feel like to keep up with my software I need way more.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Dang. Well maybe Ill use both, and find a way to network them so that if I work on one, I am able to still work on the same files on the other.

Why do I feel like it's not "beastly enough" lol?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
mine's apparently a 24" from August 09.

PROCESSOR 3.06GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
MEMORY 4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM-2X2GB
GRAPHICS ATI RADEON HD 4850 512MB
HARD DRIVE 1.0TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
APPLE SOFTWARE - IWORK IWORK '09 PREINSTALLED

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So I am leaning towards a maybe Juneish purchase right now...I don't see any rumors indicating that the Pros will get any sort of update til earliest 1Q of 2015...anyone reading otherwise?

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So I am leaning towards a maybe Juneish purchase right now...I don't see any rumors indicating that the Pros will get any sort of update til earliest 1Q of 2015...anyone reading otherwise?

That seems to be true. Does it have to be a Macbook? There are Windows laptops with better specs than that for about half the price...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Kat 4.4.2

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
That seems to be true. Does it have to be a Macbook? There are Windows laptops with better specs than that for about half the price...

Mac is a requirement for me to do my work. I can run CS on either platform but some of my editing software is Mac only.

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Mac is a requirement for me to do my work. I can run CS on either platform but some of my editing software is Mac only.

I see. Well you're not going to get anywhere near the performance of the iMac with a Macbook Pro. Just remember that higher clockspeed doesn't mean better performance. I'm sure the maxed-out rMBP 15 performs great, and far better than your current MBP.