Re: Installing SSD and data doubler to Late 2008 15" Macbook Pro
I guess that is one way to accomplish what I need to do which avoids re-installing the Mac OS and VMWare Fusion. I will have to deal with linking my large iTunes and iPhoto libraries later since they will end up going back on the 750 GB drive. The concept makes sense, I just need to come up with a step by step plan. Maybe it will be something like this...
1) Back up current setup to time machine. (I'll retain this backup just in case I want to return to the stand alone 750 GB drive later.
2) Using new external drive, move all user data from the 750 GB drive to the new one. This includes all personal files, documents, iPhoto and iTunes libraries, etc. I have probably 550 GB or so of data here.
3) Back up current setup (which has been reduced in size from step 2 above) to time machine. The 750 GB drive should now be small enough to fit on new SSD drive.
4) Install new SSD drive and relocate 750 GB drive to the Super drive location using data doubler kit.
5) Using time machine, restore backup from step 3 to SSD drive.
6) Reformat 750 GB drive ???
7) Move data from step 2 to newly formatted 750 GB drive.
8) Link iPhoto and iTunes libraries from the 750 GB using the applications themselves ???
9) Backup SSD drive and 750 GB drive to time machine ??? (not sure if I can use time machine on the 750 GB drive now.)
Thoughts? Suggestions? I am not sure about steps 6, 8 and 9.