Should I install extra RAM to MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012?

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I got a MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012. It already came with 8 GB RAM, and Apple website claims that this should be the max. I wanted to install more RAM (at least 12 GB) because Mac OS X itself along with my start up apps uses about 4 GB RAM, then World of Warcraft needs more than 4 GB RAM to run on High ~ Ultra graphics.

The problem is that when I went to Apple support centers here in Qatar they refused to install any extra RAM for me even if I provide them with it claiming that 8 GB RAM is the maximum for a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro. However, Crucial claims that my MacBook Pro can handle up to 16 GB RAM. Now getting the RAM to where I live is not the hard part, actually it's finding someone to install the RAM for me.

Apparently I will have to head to local shops to install it for me, and I don't really think the local retailers know how to deal with a MacBook Pro that is why I am a little worried. I have watched few videos online and they all would ask you to un-earth yourself, and try not to touch the HDD PINs at all, also remove the battery cable.

How do someone un-earth himself exactly and make sure he got no static electricity, also is it safe and easy to remove the battery cable? I won't be doing it myself but will be standing beside the technician to give him few instructions.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
How are you going to go over the maximum ram?

Well, I don't believe 8 GB is the maximum value, Apple just "recommends" it, they didn't say it's the max. And I know people in the US who got the same MacBook Pro with 16 GB already and everything is working good for them.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
If this is what you believe put the ram in yourself.

Well I don't have the required screw drivers, and I also was asking if someone can help me understand how someone un-earths himself making sure there is no static electricity :D

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Memory is easy to install yourself on those MBP(assuming this is the non retina version). Cheaper to get the screw driver you need and do it yourself. As far as grounding yourself and computer tech should know this, but just touch the metal casing of the MBP or something else metal.
I would recommend 16GB not 12GB so you can have matched RAM sticks.

After watching few more videos now, and reading the guide on Apple Support page I feel more safe now, and yes planning to do it myself now.

Thanks Karenkouclter and iEd :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's one of the easiest things you'll ever do to your MBP...I also have a non-retina 2012 model, and it's very happily running 16GB of RAM.

I also suggest replacing your HDD with an SSD and getting a data doubler to replace your DVD drive. Best money you'll ever spend on your computer, hands down.

freeinc

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
After watching few more videos now, and reading the guide on Apple Support page I feel more safe now, and yes planning to do it myself now.

Thanks Karenkouclter and iEd :)

You should be able to put 16GB in your Macbook Pro assuming yours is one of the following:

MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
MacBook Pro 13" 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7

Check out the following site:
Apple Mac Memory Upgrades - Easy Buying Guides, Free Install Videos| OWC

I maxed out the memory in my late 2008 Macbook Pro from these guys. The memory is very easy to install. It will cost you a bit since you can't reuse what you already have.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to put 16GB in your Macbook Pro assuming yours is one of the following:

MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
MacBook Pro 13" 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7

Check out the following site:
Apple Mac Memory Upgrades - Easy Buying Guides, Free Install Videos| OWC

I maxed out the memory in my late 2008 Macbook Pro from these guys. The memory is very easy to install. It will cost you a bit since you can't reuse what you already have.

That's what I exactly did. Yes mine is the 2.9 GHZ one. I got the 16 GB RAM and it should reach in 3 to 4 days hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2