Okay, I thought I was all set to buy the 13" rMBP but now I have questions

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So as I stated in my Christmas thread I will using the rMBP to learn to code and start coding apps, but I also found out that World of Warcraft is also Mac compatible. Seeing as how this is going to be my laptop for probably at least 2-3 years, will the standard 13" rMBP still be a viable option? Or should I save more and get the 15"? Maybe just upgrading the 13" would be enough? This will be my first Mac so I'm rather ignorant of my Mac needs and any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Peter Cohen's posts have made me second guess my decision to go stock 13".

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
13 will be fine and absolutely last you 3 years- I would recommend going to apple or best buy to look at both screens- it might be worth it to you to have the bigger screen- go look at them side by side to compare

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
World of Warcraft's graphics quality scales across a wide variety of systems; obviously the better your graphics subsystem the better you can make it look, but its system requirements are quite mild. The 13-inch rMBP should be fine.

Same with programming. Some programmers opt for quad-core systems to improve compile times, but even the dual-core system will be a nice little development machine.

In the case of WoW, I'd also recommend considering an external mouse. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I find playing WoW with a trackpad to be more trouble than it's worth.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
World of Warcraft's graphics quality scales across a wide variety of systems; obviously the better your graphics subsystem the better you can make it look, but its system requirements are quite mild. The 13-inch rMBP should be fine.

Same with programming. Some programmers opt for quad-core systems to improve compile times, but even the dual-core system will be a nice little development machine.

In the case of WoW, I'd also recommend considering an external mouse. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I find playing WoW with a trackpad to be more trouble than it's worth.

Indeed it is, I even bought a WoW mouse...it was terrible. Next time I'm saving $20 and getting a mouse with a number pad on the side. Much more efficient.

Thanks for the help again everyone. I'm almost there.

Synchronistically transposed

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
WoW will run ok, but you won't be playing at very high settings. Also keep in mind that your frame rates will tank in some situations, as WoW is running a pretty old graphics engine. For programming, the only thing I'd be wary of with the 13" is the screen real estate. You're going to be essentially working in 1280x800 resolution, which is quite low if you want to have multiple programs on the screen at once.

I use my 2010 13" for software dev and I find the resolution quite limiting at times.

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The base level 15-inch version has built in graphics as well so the GPU power isn't a whole lot better. Unless you want to spend a good $1000 more for a dedicated GPU model.

iloveamystery

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I played WoW (even raided) on my 2007 white MacBook. The frame rates were in the late 20s, early 30s in the field. They dropped into low 10s in cities. During some raids they got as long as 3-4. That said, the game was playable most of the time. I can't imagine a current MacBook, six years later, not being able to handle it. I don't play anymore so I can't offer any more current advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2