Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina - Screen Burn In

Mr. Marco

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just recently purchased a brand new late 2013 rMBP 15" model. Loving it so far.... Anyways I read some unsettling news about earlier rMBP models suffering from faulty screens. Seems like the screens from LG suffered from image burn in and discoloration.

I tried searching the web but really didn't find any specific answers to my specific questions, which is why I am here asking the iMore knowledgable on the matter.

Were the screen issues resolved before the late 2013 rMBP went into production? Are late 2013 models still affected by these issues? Anyone here personally have any experiences good or bad relating to screens and rMBP?

All I know is it seems the screens provided by Samsung are top notch.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just recently purchased a brand new late 2013 rMBP 15" model. Loving it so far.... Anyways I read some unsettling news about earlier rMBP models suffering from faulty screens. Seems like the screens from LG suffered from image burn in and discoloration.

I tried searching the web but really didn't find any specific answers to my specific questions, which is why I am here asking the iMore knowledgable on the matter.

Were the screen issues resolved before the late 2013 rMBP went into production? Are late 2013 models still affected by these issues? Anyone here personally have any experiences good or bad relating to screens and rMBP?

The issue was never 'resolved' really. If you're having issues, it's pretty much a crap shoot on whether or not you can take it back and get one that's better or.... possibly even worse. It's essentially one of those things that's only considered a kinda sorta issue by Apple, even their test is designed to not really bring the issue forth.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Do you have the issue? If you don’t have it, why the concern? If you do have it, take it to Apple for a fix/exchange/return.

I had it on my 2012 rMBP and Apple replaced the screen, no questions asked.

Mr. Marco

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the issue? If you don’t have it, why the concern? If you do have it, take it to Apple for a fix/exchange/return.

I had it on my 2012 rMBP and Apple replaced the screen, no questions asked.

Well I don't think i have screen burn in. The computer is literally only a few days old and I don't know how to test for it other than setting one of the solid desktop wallpapers up and checking for burn in that way.

To me it seems the lower left corner of the screen is slightly more yellow than the right corner, but I think that may be my eyes playing with me. My screen is set to 50% brightness and webpages have these subtle gray or white backgrounds that play with my mind. If I stare really hard at the right corner and start thinking it looks yellow for example, it starts to look yellow. lol

But one of my questions also was whether or not Apple squashed the issue altogether with the late 2013 rMBP models. Besides the 2012 and EARLY 2013 models, can anyone confirm the issue popping up with the October 2013 release models?

Mr. Marco

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
As a quick update to this thread, I spent a decent amount of time reading the Apple Discussions forum lengthy threads on retina macbook pro screen issues (not very comforting as a consumer of Apple products since well.... They are Apple products and are all about quality etc).

I did some tests of my own using different wallpaper colors and brightness at 100% and here are my findings. (BTW I used the terminal command and found out that I have a Samsung made display, and from what I read on other forums, its revision A01).

- I don't see any trace of image retention/ghosting (aka burn in)
- No dead pixels
- Display backlight seems pretty even to my eyes (usual slight brightness near the edge as is with any edge lit LED display, even TVs)
- Using a solid white wallpaper and brightness cranked up to 100% I believe that I can confirm that I have a slight yellowing at the bottom left corner
- Interestingly, unless it's my eyes (you all do know that we all see very slight variances in colors unique to ourselves.... just nature), the Apple logo on the case when lit up exhibits a slight pink color in its glow..............

I'd like to hear more from you on this forum regarding these apparent screen issues. Reading other forums I gather Apple has been replacing displays, however people are going back four, maybe more than four times for replacement displays, because apparently the replacements exhibit the same issue. But it seems as a whole Apple is mum on the subject. No official announcement or recalls or anything.

I would be lying if I didn't say that the yellowing isn't annoying and disappointing seeing as how this is an Apple product and a brand new modern one. But as a whole it seems my display is better than what others have reported. Should I play the game of roulette and seek a replacement or is this what we owners have to deal with for the time being? Anyone here have any display issues, advice, or further information regarding the topic?

Are there ANY retina macbook pro models out there since introduction with good displays!?

I would love for Apple to officially address this issue/topic and (in a perfect world) do right by its customers and issue a recall/replacement for retina macbook pro screens with good ones.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen