Looking at getting my First MacBook

nzrocketman

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Im interested in getting a my first MacBook Pro. However im unsure on what screen size to use.

I will be getting it for mainly work purposes. Using a lot of Excel & Word (not sure what apple calls its), Dreamweaver for web design and music and movies for me.

Would a 13" be suitable to use or would the 15" be a better bet. there is a big price difference between 13 & 15".

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The price between these two models really depends on the specs that you get. You can get a new 13" Retina MBP at the starting price of $1,299.00 or the higher 13" model for $1,799.00. The 15" Retina MBP starts at 1,999.00 and goes up from there with the specs that you choose... Here's the link to the MBP's on Apples website to help you compare all of them. http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

If you live near a store that sells the new MBP you should stop in and look at the 13" and 15" model side by side and see which one you like best. This is what I did before getting my first Retina MBP last week. I went with the 15" screen as the 13" screen looked a little too small for me.... Good luck with whichever one you go with. The MBP is awesome, you will love it.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i'm more worried about the screen size causing issues. I've only ever worked on 17" laptop before
Not sure what issues you are referring to here. As far as I know neither one of these models should cause any issues for you. Like Karen said, the 15" would probably be a better fit for what you need the MBP for.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I would also go with what size fits you better than price. At work I have 4 22 inch monitors but at home I have a 15 inch laptop. Love the screen size but for my personal use I went with the 13 inch for portability.

In the end it's really what makes you happy. I personally would not buy one without tying it first. To pricey not to try.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
15-inch is where it's at. I honestly get 'claustrophobic' on anything smaller but alas, that's just me. I always reccom. 15-inch though cause it's a happy medium for most people. Not too big, not too small.

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
To the OP, first it is a welcomed change, however not an easy one. If you use MS Office a lot, you'll have to buy MS Office for Mac.
Second, me personally went for 13' size because of a portability, but in addition I got a thunderbolt/divi adapter and a USB KVM to solve the small screen size. The difference in price justified for me going to a smaller size.
So to conclude, it is really a personal preference, but I am happy with my choice for my first Mac computer.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
15" costs more yes but you are getting not just a larger screen but a more powerful computer overall. AFA what form factor you will like unfortunately you will find this is probably only something you can get at after using a few different machines. My laptops have gotten smaller and smaller as I've come to realize I prefer lightweight profiles over the better specs that often come in larger computers.

If you can work it, docking to a larger screen provides a terrific experience. If you don't really have the space for that, a desktop replacement (which you seem to have a lot of experience with) seems like a good choice.

To be honest, I think a high end MBP is overkill for what you plan to do, but unfortunately Apple doesn't really give us a choice as far as form factor goes. If you think you'll take advantage of that hardware go for it, otherwise maybe play with the 13" machines at a store and see if you think they'll work for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

NexusNick123

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the 13in but I do a lot of reviews and youtube videos so what I did was went out and got the Thunderbolt Display now I got a 13in a 42in (TV) and a 27in love my set up..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods