Would Touch ID be welcomed on the MacBook Pro?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although not perfect, the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5S is arguably a success. Having said that, and I know fingerprint scanners have been on laptops before because I used to have one, would it be a welcomed addition to the MacBook Pro line at this point?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Although not perfect, the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5S is arguably a success. Having said that, and I know fingerprint scanners have been on laptops before because I used to have one, would it be a welcomed addition to the MacBook Pro line at this point?

My sister-in-law has a fingerprint scanner on her Lenovo laptop... it’s a real PITA to use... so much so, that she disabled it... I’m sure that Apple would not put TouchID on any device before they had perfected it, so, why not. As with the iPhone 5S, you can always opt to not use it... or just enter the password instead...

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think I'd use it. I RARELY would leave my house with my laptop, just to travel occasionally or take to the occasional consultation, but I know I'd end up disabling it other than while traveling or at a consult.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind the option, but I don't think I would want to pay more for it...I also doubt I'd use it much because of how a notebook sits when you're working on it, it wouldn't really be all that comfortable as a consistent requirement for security. I mean, as it sits, I have password protection from the very basic general access to the computer all the way down to individual apps...I doubt I'd want to put in a finger print scan as often as I'm having to input passwords during a normal day's work flow.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say no, at least for me. I have it set up on my 5S now and only use it about 50% of the time. Since it has the front camera, perhaps facial recognition would be a good idea...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.