Can u startup a macbook pro without battery?

MacRulez4Ever

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello i wonder if you will be able too boot the
MBPro with only power from the adapter, or must i have the MBPro battery plugged in?

My MBPro suddenly died on me!
Now its complete dead , any suggestions ?

Best regards /
7yvanu6a.jpg

azepu3ys.jpg

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello i wonder if you will be able too boot the
MBPro with only power from the adapter, or must i have the MBPro battery plugged in?

My MBPro suddenly died on me!
Now its complete dead , any suggestions ?

Best regards /
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/7yvanu6a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/azepu3ys.jpg

Not sure if it will. Did you try? I would not suggest running it off of the AC power without a battery... most laptops are designed to filter the power through the battery for several reasons - primarily to prevent issues related to unstable power delivery to even out low power and spike situations... and many laptop designs require the battery to boot...

Again, you can try to boot without the battery, but I would recommend against running that way for more than a few minutes. As a side note, my sister-in-law had a Lenovo laptop whose battery died.. she took the battery out and ran off of AC power whole waiting for the new battery to be delivered... and she experienced a lot of random lockups and reboots... YMMV.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am assuming it can be booted and used with just the power cord. I am able to use just the power cord with my MacBook (non-pro).

MacRulez4Ever

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried to boot with and without the battery but its complete dead. The thing i came up with is that mac is a very special brand, and maybe if my battery has broken. And mac has to have a working battery to boot??? Could it be that simple?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Crapple huh? Interesting...

Anyways, from what I understand the machine should still run without the battery installed, but will be running at a greatly reduced performance setting (like half processor power if i remember correctly).

Obviously replacing the battery is the best option, but if you decide you want to toss it, I'll pay for shipping for you to send it my way, lol!

MacRulez4Ever

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Crapple huh? Interesting...

Anyways, from what I understand the machine should still run without the battery installed, but will be running at a greatly reduced performance setting (like half processor power if i remember correctly).

Obviously replacing the battery is the best option, but if you decide you want to toss it, I'll pay for shipping for you to send it my way, lol!

Ok i see then the machine is dead, because it will not operate without the battery. Tnx for the help exactly the answer i was looking for. And you don't want my machine, the screen is trashed plus that I'm from sweden. So it would probably cost more to pay fees etc then bye a similar. To bad because i will throw it away, i have no use of it anyway. The only thing i will save is the disk. Tnx again

Best regards /

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok i see then the machine is dead, because it will not operate without the battery. Tnx for the help exactly the answer i was looking for. And you don't want my machine, the screen is trashed plus that I'm from sweden. So it would probably cost more to pay fees etc then bye a similar. To bad because i will throw it away, i have no use of it anyway. The only thing i will save is the disk. Tnx again

Best regards /

I still highly recommend you buy a battery and try to get her breathing again...there are various resets (SMC, DFU, etc) that can be done when a Mac gets wonky after something like this, and most times, they fire right back up and work just fine. A swollen battery is not call for trashing the laptop, and with the unibody Macbooks, swollen batteries is a pretty common issue that has been reported.

DONT TRASH IT. Buy a new battery...

MacRulez4Ever

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I still highly recommend you buy a battery and try to get her breathing again...there are various resets (SMC, DFU, etc) that can be done when a Mac gets wonky after something like this, and most times, they fire right back up and work just fine. A swollen battery is not call for trashing the laptop, and with the unibody Macbooks, swollen batteries is a pretty common issue that has been reported.

DONT TRASH IT. Buy a new battery...

I know all the resets, but to make that work it has to boot ;) and its complete dead. No sounds ,no led flashing or anything. But i can borrow a friends battery and try!

dra99on

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2008 Macbook Pro I bought off a friend for a hundred bucks, had a crashed HD and ram was taken out. It took me 2 weeks using only a windows computer to disassemble and replace the HD upgrade the ram and replace the super drive that i accidentally dropped off the kitchen counter lol. But I managed to get it working to find out that the batter if corrupt, would only last 20 mins on a full charge. But that battery lasted 2 years, I just left it plugged in as a tower, was running windows xp and 7 on individual screen with the mac os on the main laptop screen. Ran all 3 systems simotaniously with very little lag or clipping tear in the graphics.

Your macbook is definately not trashed. My battery finally swollen sooo much that it litterally pushed itself out of the battery compartment on the bottom. My macbook is now paperweight until i can find a used one on craigs list or maybe online somewhere or a garage sale. No light on the charge cord, no sound no nothing but dust settling on it.... I almost got lucky 1 time at a garage sale but someone bought it 5 mins before i got there.
Considering their 200 bucks or about =/ way out of my price range. anything over 60 bucks is. But i have a power g5 tower and 2 win 7 comps... but nothing ran everything like the intel mac did.... I miss it sooooo much. =/

Definately don't scrap it....... sell it online at the very least... macbook pro without battery easy 500 bucks. $800 used with clean OS install and some software custom software for whoever buys it. You can sell it in less than a week. Or you can try to find a refurbished battery for 100 to 150 or spend the 200 bucks then sell it for 800 to $1000 depending on the software installed.

DEFINATELY NOT SCRAP OR PAPERWEIGHT

TheGageCatus

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
The screen is broken to ;) so its not much use in that old sucker ;)

Hello, I have a similar issue with my mid 2009 MacBook Pro. My battery one day just stopped after it has died. Wouldn't turn on for about 2 days then I was searching on the forums and found that I can take the bottom off with the battery installed> plug the power cable in> take the battery out> and boot. But I have another issue. If the laptop falls asleep it won't turn back on. I'll have to do all these processes again. So I have figured out to make sure the laptop doesn't EVER fall asleep in the system preferences but display can.

Anywho, I'd like to know how I can boot woth the battery in, knowing that I think it's crap. And not have to worry about it sleeping or not.
Thanks Gage Hanke😊

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73