MacBook Pro with Retina: Should I take the plunge?

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So here's my "dilemma":

I'm a HUGE Mac fan. Right now I'm using an iPad 3, iPad mini, iPhone 5 (personal cell), iPhone 4S (work cell-provided by work), 2 Apple TVs, AirPort Extreme, 20" iMac and a 13" MacBook Air.

I like having both the iMac and the MacBook Air, but have found myself lately just utilizing my Air and not using the iMac as much. What would y'all do? Keep the two computers, or sell both of them and get a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display? I've talked myself into and out of each of the options so many times it's not funny. :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking the same thing... I have a 17" MacBook Pro still and it's working fine. but sluggish at times... Would be nice for a upgrade.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I would sell the old ones and get retina. That's the current top of the line and it will be good for you for years to come.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The Retina MBP is a sweet ride...but it comes at a premium. See what you can get for the two computers, and then see what the out-of-pocket cost is... As Karen said, the screen is amazing... a no-brainier if you can handle the sticker shock. (And the 13" model is not a painful to the wallet as the 15" model).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeh I also Posted this here someplace...lol and am going this weekend to check it out and play with them. Will post More Monday if I jump on one. Wait they might not like that, If I buy one. Leaning to a 13" or 15".

I remembered reading that, but wasn’t sure what thread... thought I’d mention it here for anyone else thinking of "jumping on one". :)

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking about it as we'll, I'm just waiting to see the new macs. My 13" pro is 3.5 years old. Not a problem with it. I just want something new. I'm considering selling it as I've upgraded the ram to 8GB and HDisk to 1TB. Should subsidize some of the cost of my new Mac.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a Retina MacBook Pro too. I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13" that just needs to be replaced soon. I need a workhorse for video editing.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

iPhone4iPad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I got the Retina Pro, and believe me its WORTH EVERY PENNY.
I was in the same dilemma as you, and i honestly wasn't planning on wasting any money on Retina display, but it's WAY WAY better than my previous Pro. Its cooler, doesn't have any issues, the keyboard feels better for some reason, the screen resolution is EXCELLENT, the screen is vibrant, and overall its AMAZING.
Eventhough its slightly costly, its completely worth it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Coming from an early 2011 MBP to a retina model, i wasn't 100% satisfied...it's a fantastic machine and the screen's picture is just phenomenal, but the computer feels just as heavy (if not more) than my 2011 did, and I miss the cheap upgrades.

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Simple answer from me. Yes :)

I've been using a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air for the last couple years, and the display on the rMBP alone makes me happy to be using one. Feel like I'm scratching my retinas out when I go back to the MBA!

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What year are the MacBook Air and iMac?

I wouldn't sell both to just get the retina MacBook Pro and not have any cash left over. That would be a ripoff to me, id you had a few hundred left over then I would say yeah.

I love my 13" retina MacBook Pro, the screen is awesome but at the same time it wasn't a lot better than my mid 2012 MacBook Pro but I got a great deal on it so I jumped on it.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
They're late 2011 models.

Do you still use the iMac? Or do you use the MacBook Air more?

What are you trying to get out of them both?

Only you can decide but honestly I don't think you will be disappointed. The retina MacBook Pro is really nice.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you still use the iMac? Or do you use the MacBook Air more?

What are you trying to get out of them both?

Only you can decide but honestly I don't think you will be disappointed. The retina MacBook Pro is really nice.

I honestly RARELY use the iMac (used more to justify having it than actual use). I'm thinking I can probably get about $800 for each, which with an academic discount (since I work for a University) and selling my Nikon DSLR (which I don't use much either) I can comfortably be in the upper level MBP with Retina cost category.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I honestly RARELY use the iMac (used more to justify having it than actual use). I'm thinking I can probably get about $800 for each, which with an academic discount (since I work for a University) and selling my Nikon DSLR (which I don't use much either) I can comfortably be in the upper level MBP with Retina cost category.

Yeah then it wouldn't be too bad.

That discount will be nice. Also I would check with amazon as well. They generally have theirs on sale.

Good luck and enjoy.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I found an open box 13" at best buy for $1175.99. I'm going to check it out when I get into the area where it's at. I'm hoping to be able to get it. I want a better computer than my 4 year old MacBook Pro.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro