MacBook Pro lagging

ForgWorm

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, been having my macbook pro 15" for 1.5 years, lately it's been lagging a bit. Is there a way to make it run smoother? I cant afford to upgrade anything interiorlly, however is there a FREE app out there that can reduce the lag or make your mac runs smoother?

NPBeck79

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I am not aware of such an app, but have you tried a clean install of mountain lion or lion? I think that could help a little, especially if you have been using your Mac for almost everything. Just an idea.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You need to give us some specifics before anyone can legitimately help you here...

- What are you describing as lag? (what exactly is it doing?)
- When is the computer lagging?

...as far as downloadable software to fix this issue, i don't think any of them are going to be a real "fix" without knowing what is going on. There are several things that could be hogging RAM, there could be hardware failure, etc. We need more info.

Also, have you reset your SMC and PRAM? If not, google it and follow instructions...sometimes this can really help a macbook stuck in a weird rut.

Tutankamun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Without any details on your computer specs. or particulars on the issue I can tell you that using an SSD to run the OS and topping up the RAM will resolve the lags for the lifetime of the computer. I used OWC data doubler on my 2 1/2 year old MBP (which was getting slower and slower) and it is now zipping fast. I got a case for the optical drive for the odd time I need it. OWC has excellent video to help you do the job, take your time, don't rush, ground yourself and you will love the new found speed.
Good luck

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, been having my macbook pro 15" for 1.5 years, lately it's been lagging a bit. Is there a way to make it run smoother? I cant afford to upgrade anything interiorlly, however is there a FREE app out there that can reduce the lag or make your mac runs smoother?

Any chance you're running the Messages app? There have been numerous reports of it being buggy and getting stuck in a Not Responding state that eats up all your RAM and slows your computer to a crawl. Check the Activity Monitor to see if that's the case. (Finder>Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor)

ForgWorm

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
nope not runnning the messages app..

I think it's my ram.. since I run a lot of apps.. not that much but like chrome, evernote, mail, reminder, iceclean, skype, and itunes.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I think it's my ram.. since I run a lot of apps.. not that much but like chrome, evernote, mail, reminder, iceclean, skype, and itunes.

Again, how about some specs? What model MBP? How much memory? Memory is pretty cheap right now - you can kick it up to 8GB for as little as $50... definitely a deal... but to really help, we need more information, as has been requested previously.

Help us help you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree with NPBeck79 that you should consider a clean install of whatever OS X version you have. Running the aforementioned apps should not cause your MacBook Pro to lag in the manner I am understanding it. I have a MacBook that I bought in March 2009 and it is still running smoothly. See the specs via the attached screenshot.
Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 10.42.03 AM.png

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

If you're running all of them at the same time, yes, you're going to see some lag. You will need to shut a few down and only run 2-3 at a time or upgrade your RAM. Upgrading memory is pretty easy and cheap. $50-$75 for an upgrade. That may be your best bet if you want to continue to run 5+ programs together.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
By the way, have you opened Activity Monitor to see which programs are using the most resources? You might find that some are stuck in a Not Responding state and are just eating RAM. You can kill whatever apps you want from there.

ForgWorm

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Again, how about some specs? What model MBP? How much memory? Memory is pretty cheap right now - you can kick it up to 8GB for as little as $50... definitely a deal... but to really help, we need more information, as has been requested previously.

Help us help you.

I have the early 2011 MBP, running 2.2ghz i7 with 4gb of ram.

It seems like some of the apps are causing it too lag, since when I only run 2-3 apps it seems to be fine.

ForgWorm

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
By the way, have you opened Activity Monitor to see which programs are using the most resources? You might find that some are stuck in a Not Responding state and are just eating RAM. You can kill whatever apps you want from there.

I just did, and it seemed like none of my programs are using that much resources.. hmm..

I have a feeling it must have just been my RAM since I run quite a few apps..

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Enter Terminal: Type the following command without quotes "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" you will then be prompted to enter your password. This will speed things up a tad on a laptop. Also run disk utility and repair permissions. I like to do a reboot after both.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Google Chrome is a resource hog...just FYI.

4GB of RAM is so easily and cheaply upgraded these days that it's hard to imagine someone sticking with that amount if their computer was having problems.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Google Chrome is a resource hog...just FYI.

4GB of RAM is so easily and cheaply upgraded these days that it's hard to imagine someone sticking with that amount if their computer was having problems.

Yes to all of what he said. You can easily double that RAM for less than $50. Also, Chrome is a memory hog, is slower, and has less features than Safari. Unless you have a certain reason you use Chrome, switching to Safari will help speed everything up.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner