anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
O.K. this may sound crazy, but all of the accent marks for my keyboard are gone. when i hold down the "o" key, i used to get eight options for accents above the letter, seven for the "e" key, five for the "u", etc. My wife has the exact same MacBook Pro, OS X 10.7.5 as i do. I assumed that it was a setting, so i rechecked her settings against mine, and what i looked at was exactly the same. What am i overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:confused:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I remember when I first got my Mac that was something I went looking for (on Windows it's a language/region setting), because I switch languages regularly and need my accent marks. There was no setting on the Mac - it just does it.

If you've somehow accidentally disabled it, try this:
→ Open up your terminal
→ Enter the following command (no quotes): "defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true"
→ Restart your computer. Bummer, I know. The press-and-hold functionality is immediately disabled, but you can't hold down a key until you fully reboot.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll try this although i've never used "terminal". After i type in that sentence to terminal, is there something else that i have to do, in order for terminal to receive the command?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It "should be" IMHO, but unfortunately, it is not.

Actually, there is a 3rd party tweak from

Developer Fredrik Wiker - Mountain Tweaks and Lion Tweaks

that might help. I’ve been running the Mountain Lion version of the tweak since Mountain Lion was released. There’s a setting for enabling/disabling the repeating key...

No go. Cannot get the character accent menu to work, no matter what i try. Looks like a trip to the Apple Store. Thanks for your help.:D

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It was there all the time!!! I had switched web browsers from Safari, to Firefox. Safari supports the character accent menu, and Firefox doesn't.:D

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Character accent menu also works with Google Chrome, but i'm undecided whether to use it for my browser, or stay with Safari. I've gotten used to Netvibes for my homepage, and it's a great substitute for iGoogle.;)

Thanks again to you and Alli for your help.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! My hair is really coming in fast. :) I'm hoping that by the end of March I'll have good hair, walk without assistance, and be 100% cancer free!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711