Problems with POP email set-up

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm trying to set-up an Outlook pop3 account on my MBA. I go to add the account and instead of set-up, it just say's sign in and defaults to my imap account.

I don't want an imamp account. I just need a pop3 account. Any help please?

Many thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you want to add your Outlook.com account to another email program that supports POP or IMAP, here are the manual server settings you'll need.

NOTE: POP access is disabled by default. To enable POP access, see Enabling POP access in Outlook.com.

IMAP server name imap-mail.outlook.com

IMAP port 993

IMAP encryption method SSL

POP server name pop-mail.outlook.com

POP port 995

POP encryption method SSL

SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com

SMTP port 587

SMTP encryption method TLS

Enabling POP access in Outlook.com
If you want to use POP to access your email in Outlook.com, you'll first need to enable POP access:

Outlook.com menu bar

Choose Options > Managing your account > Connect devices and apps with POP.

Under POP, choose Enable.

Choose Save.

Outlook Mail menu bar

Choose Options > Mail > POP and IMAP.

Under POP options, choose Yes to let devices and apps use POP.

Choose Save.

Source: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...1ae-aab1-87b80fa94970?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Tried everything. It still defaults to imap when I re-set it up on my new MBA. Getting p*****ed off with it now. Grrrrrr!

When I look at a YT video, on how to add an account, you put in you details and then next bit to press would be the continue button to input further details, i,e POP or Imap etc. All I get is sign in!! I need to enter POP settings but just can't see where I would do that!

Am I doing something stupid here?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tried everything. It still defaults to imap when I re-set it up on my new MBA. Getting p*****ed off with it now. Grrrrrr!

When I look at a YT video, on how to add an account, you put in you details and then next bit to press would be the continue button to input further details, i,e POP or Imap etc. All I get is sign in!! I need to enter POP settings but just can't see where I would do that!

Am I doing something stupid here?

I just did it successfully on my MacBook. Do the following:

1. Go to the Mail setting and then select "Add Other Account"
2. Select "Mail Account"
3. Enter the email address and an "incorrect" password and then select "Sign In"
4.When you get the "Unable to verify account name or password" error, change the account type from IMAP to POP, as well as edit the Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server information.
5. Enter the correct passcode and then select "Sign In".

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I just received an error message stating wrong username or passcode and I'm now unable to get back in. Hmmm. Did I bypass it initially via a glitch and then got booted out or what?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative