To buy MacBook air (2014)? And 11" or 13"

Mani Kandan13

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I have IPAD air, now the price of both iPad air 2 as well as MacBook air has dropped, which one should I choose to buy? I am a doctor by profession who requires presentations.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That depends on your needs. Is your current iPad not sufficient? If not, what are your specific needs and which one will suit those needs better? Only YOU can answer that. Personally, I find the MacBook to be more useful than an iPad, but that's Just Me, D...:)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If I were you I would go with the MacBook Air. The iPad Air is still a great device and the MacBook would compliment it well.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I was using an iPad Air for everything for a while, to the detriment of my productivity. There are just some things that the iPad is not good at, there are alot of things however the iPad is fantastic at. I purchased a Macbook Air last fall, the 13" model, and it has completely changed how I use my devices. Handoff and Continuity have completely changed my life,(I know cliche, but so true) and completely changed the way that I interact with my devices. Now everything has a purpose and a place, and every single device i own excels at the purpose that I use the device for, On the go, out and about, the iPhone cannot be beat. At home in bed, or lounging on the sofa, reading a book, browsing the web, or watching a video, I reach for my iPad every time. If I need to be productive, or work with my hobby the Macbook Air has my back. With instant hotspot and all of the other iOS8 features I don't even think about what I am doing any longer I just do. There is something to be said about having the freedom to just do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Storage wise is a no brainer. The MBA has at minimal the most storage on a iPad Air for what, around $200 more. And that $200 gets you more versatility and power.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Bought the 2014 MacBook Air 11. With i7 and 8gigs of RAM. I thought I wouldn't be able to handle the smaller screen since I switched from the 13 inch 2008 MacBook. Never regretted it, I'm happy to say. And my friends get jealous when I slide my MacBook into an A4 folder :)

Posted via the iMore App for Android

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have both but if I could only have one I'd go for the MacBook Air. It is a fully fledged computer and can do more than the iPad. It's also very light so really portable. I went for the 11 inch even though I have an iPad Air 2. I really love the 11 inch form factor. My last laptop was 15 inches and I found it too cumbersome and as a result didn't use it much. The MacBook isn't even much more than the iPad Air 2. I bought my MacBook Air 2014 11 inch base model for ?700 and my iPad Air 2 128GB for ?559. So only a ?141 difference in price. Think the MacBook was better value for money.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
IMO, the iPad Air 2 is not a significant upgrade over the iPad Air to warrant that purchase. Of course, your situation may be different from mine, but I have multiple devices in different screen sizes. I have an iPhone 6 Plus (5.5"), a iPad Air (9.7"), a 2013 MBA (13") and my original rMBP (15"). This gives me a choice in terms of screen size and weight for different purposes.

I much prefer the 13" MBA over the 11" for several reasons.
  1. First, it's a larger screen at 1440x900 (vs 11" at 1366x768).
  2. Second, the battery life is better - estimated at 12 hours vs 9 hours for the 11" MBA.
  3. Finally, the 13" MBA has an SD card slot. It's handy for transferring photos from my DSLR, and it allows extra storage with the Nifty Drive device - it gives me an additional 128GB of storage with no added weight/footprint.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice