My MBA is running out of space, what should I do?

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
running out of space on mba

oh my god, I've been noticed that my mba storage left only 1gb, what should I do ? I couldn't upgrade my ssd storage ;(

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: running out of space on mba

Delete the unwanted data. Also, use disk cleaner tools available on Mac App store which should create space!

Good luck.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

oh my god, I've been noticed that my mba storage left only 1gb, what should I do ? I couldn't upgrade my ssd storage ;(

Back up the data you need to a external drive of some kind and delete what you don't need. Even a USB Flash Drive.
I keep my ITunes and iPhoto libraries on a 2 Terabyte external drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

Back up the data you need to a external drive of some kind and delete what you don't need. Even a USB Flash Drive.
I keep my ITunes and iPhoto libraries on a 2 Terabyte external drive.

I plan to buy portable ssd external, but it's just too expensive Lol

If I moved my itunes and iphoto files to external, will my photo stream automatically download photos into my external, or I need to moved them manually ?

and for itunes, if I purchased some songs, will it automatically save in my external, or I need to moved them manually as well ?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

As long as you have iTunes and iPhoto set to use the libraries on the external every will go there and of course have the external connected.

When you open iTunes and iPhoto on your Mac it's going to look for those libraries.

I would think that if the drive isn't connected the photo stream would populate once it is connected.

I just dragged and dropped my libraries from the MBA to the external and deleted the libraries on the MBA. Hold the option key when starting iTunes and iPhoto and you'll be asked the choose a library. Choose the libraries on the external.

From that point on it will open the libraries until you choose a different one. If the external is not connected iTunes or iPhoto won't open unless you assign a library on the MBA.

Here the external I use. It's a few bucks cheaper than when I bought it in November.

Here's the external I use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FR...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2470209

It's a bus powered drive so no power supply is needed. It's powered by the USB port.
If your MBA isn't plugged in and you have the drive connected will tax the MBA battery pretty good but nothing unusual. I use it like this often but never timed the MBA battery life with the drive connected.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

As long as you have iTunes and iPhoto set to use the libraries on the external every will go there and of course have the external connected.

When you open iTunes and iPhoto on your Mac it's going to look for those libraries.

I would think that if the drive isn't connected the photo stream would populate once it is connected.

I just dragged and dropped my libraries from the MBA to the external and deleted the libraries on the MBA. Hold the option key when starting iTunes and iPhoto and you'll be asked the choose a library. Choose the libraries on the external.

From that point on it will open the libraries until you choose a different one. If the external is not connected iTunes or iPhoto won't open unless you assign a library on the MBA.

Here the external I use. It's a few bucks cheaper than when I bought it in November.

Here's the external I use.
Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB Portable Hard Drive STDR2000101, Silver:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

It's a bus powered drive so no power supply is needed. It's powered by the USB port.
If your MBA isn't plugged in and you have the drive connected will tax the MBA battery pretty good but nothing unusual. I use it like this often but never timed the MBA battery life with the drive connected.

wow very nice hdd

If your MBA isn't plugged in and you have the drive connected will tax the MBA battery pretty good but nothing unusual ===>> this what I'm concern at.

I will look around for ssd and compare both external

thx a lot for your clear tips

really appreciate that

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

I use cleanmymac to save some space

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

wow very nice hdd

If your MBA isn't plugged in and you have the drive connected will tax the MBA battery pretty good but nothing unusual ===>> this what I'm concern at.

I will look around for ssd and compare both external

thx a lot for your clear tips

really appreciate that

Seems with the drive connected doing nothing you may get 4 hours more or less on the MBA battery. Possibly less if there is a lot of drive activity.
I have a 2014 11 inch MBA.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

btw, how to manage my email with macbook storage

I use exchange server, and I don't want to delete my email on server. Can I set automatic management with my email so my macbook storage won't ate up with my email, let say, it will keep my email only for 2 months old, and it will delete on my macbook automatically (but on on my exchange server, this is important)

please help

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I don't know anything about exchange servers hopefully someone else will chime in or post this in the Apple business thread.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

I bought seagate slim plus 2T, tried to moved itunes and iphoto library to external (using fat32), even it's usb3 it still took for several hours to complete copyinf, and after that i tried to open iphoto, and it's a bit lagging.

Now i'm moving again my library back to macbook and will try using hfs+ format and partition.

Quite frustating dealing with this kind of stuff #tired

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

No don't use fat32.
I have 5 different hard drives with back ups time machine also.
The rule is if it's not backed up it doesn't exist.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

guys, would you please help me by looking at my mba storage management ? If I'm not wrong, my storage still contain backup and photos (which is the largest portion). I believe I have moved all my iphotos library and my time machines has been locked to external. But why they still exist on my internal storage ? Is this accurate ? or Am I doing something wrong ?

And for the movies, I don't even recall to have any movies , for the music, I have moved my itunes library to external hard drive as well (and that should mean, no music at all on my mba) - but anyway, i don't care since their size is small.

Please advise

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 18.31.25.png

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

By default Time Machine performs backups to your local drive when it's normal external drive isn't available. But OS X will reclaim that space if needed for something else and the backup space should decrease once the external drive Time Machine backup is done. There is a Terminal command you can use to force it not to do these local backups. I don't have it handy but a quick google search should find it for you.

Is it save or it will mess up my mac ?

Thx

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Transfer everything you can to the cloud. And use the cloud for everything from now on

Posted via the iMore App for Android

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I have several "half" cards that I use in the SD scard slot. This can be used as storage for large files, music and photo collections, etc - which frees up space on the actual internal system drive without adding any bulk to your configuration.

I have several brands, as well. PNY makes the StoreEDGE cards in multiple storage sizes (64GB and 128GB). The other brands - Nifty and TheMiniDrive use MicroSD cards, and the ones that I have currently support up to 128GB MicroSD cards.

I use them for storing work projects - photos that I am working on, documents related to other projects, and one that I use to store movies. The StorEdge has a small lip that sticks out just enough to allow you to grab it to eject the drive. The other versions sit completely flush with the rMPB, and have little slots where you can "hook" them with the provided tool to eject them.

Over all, very handy - especially on a rMBP with the limitation of the SSD drive storage.

PNY
Simple, Seamless Storage For Your MacBook | The Nifty MiniDrive
TheMiniDrive | Seamless MacBook Storage ? TheMiniDrive.com

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

Not sure what's going on with your Time Machine if you have it set up to transfer to your external HDD - in my setup it'll do a backup even if its on Hibernate / Standby , as long as my external HDD is connected. Though, if you're more mobile than I with your Air, then of course it will do the Backup to local, rather than the external. As noted above, the OS will eventually claim that used space back once everything is connected up again.

Cloud storage is only as good (and secure) as the provider - consider this option only with considerable grains of salt. I still prefer a local (albeit external) backup for my Air, with room to place stuff I don't need on it daily there, too.

by default 2015-03-20 at 8.24.59 PM.jpg

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

By default Time Machine performs backups to your local drive when it's normal external drive isn't available. But OS X will reclaim that space if needed for something else and the backup space should decrease once the external drive Time Machine backup is done. There is a Terminal command you can use to force it not to do these local backups. I don't have it handy but a quick google search should find it for you.

sudo tmutil disablelocal

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1 - you know, the version BEFORE they totally borked the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice