MacBook Air 11 inch latest version impressions

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone out there with the latest 11in MBA?

Thinking of getting one to replace the Yosemite side of my Frankensteind 2007 iMac. I use Snow Leopard for music production on the iMac and have Yosemite on a external that boots the iMac for Internet and iDevice stuff.

So I need a machine for just Internet, iDevice stuff and streaming itunes movies to Apple TV and light office work.
Seems like the price and size of the 11 MBA is just right.
So if anyone can give me some impressions on how the MBA 11 or even 13 is working for them it would be appreciated.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't know about the most recent 11" MBA, but my mid-2011 does just fine with internet, iDevice stuff, streaming and light office work - among other tasks - so one assumes...

I moved from a 15" PC laptop to the 11" and had no (hardware) regrets - you're familiar with Mac software and availability of same has improved dramatically since the App Store, so there should be no real issue there for you - while the 11" has a footprint not much larger than an iPad, but with real computer capabilities. I've not found the onboard storage size (I've got 128GB) to be an issue - and I've got a whack of docs, some 47 movies, 1400 tunes and over 1000 pics on it, with 50 GB still free. I do have a portable drive for my Time Machine and storage of less-needed files.

But I think you're asking mostly in regards to the hardware capabilities and I think the MBA would be fine for the tasks you posited.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone out there with the latest 11in MBA?

Thinking of getting one to replace the Yosemite side of my Frankensteind 2007 iMac. I use Snow Leopard for music production on the iMac and have Yosemite on a external that boots the iMac for Internet and iDevice stuff.

So I need a machine for just Internet, iDevice stuff and streaming itunes movies to Apple TV and light office work.
Seems like the price and size of the 11 MBA is just right.
So if anyone can give me some impressions on how the MBA 11 or even 13 is working for them it would be appreciated.

I just bought the MacBook Air 11 128GB, and I love it. As I said before, my very first Mac, and I wonder why I waited this long to buy one.
You should hopefully be pleased, I have not watched any movies on it.
But I watch the news everyday day with a Bluetooth speaker, and I am happy with the screen resolution for being non retina.
The MacBook is also plenty fast in my opinion. Good luck.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Joe for the info. Any movie watching I do will be streamed to a Apple TV via iTunes. Thanks again.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I was considering the 13. The battery life is not too much of a concern because it'll probably never leave the house. Just go room to room in the house.

I meant to mention this in my earlier post, but you seem to have it covered - the 11" (and now, I understand, the 13") does not have a ethernet port in it, so you can't connect hardwire into an internet modem unless you buy a USB > Ethernet dongle for it. Not an issue for connectivity as it sounds you already rely on a wi-fi connection but, that said, I have had some occasion where a hardwire connection would be helpful - usually in setting up / troubleshooting the internet connection and/or modem. I've managed without, but again, it would have simplified some things to have the hardwire option.

Meanwhile, in a completely unrelated subject, I should have also mentioned that, given the limited storage of the SSD on an 11", I also invested in a terrific software program called Xslimmer (Xslimmer - Your Mac, on a Diet!) . It intelligently scans and strips apps of unneeded languages, older code not used in your version of the OS X as used on the MBA and a whack of other background stuff. It significantly reduces the size of some apps, including those built into the OS. Dead easy to use - click the 'Genie', it scans and shows you the apps with the amount it can reduce it to and you hit 'Slim' to do so. Capable of doing backups so you can reverse the process, but I've never had an issue with it. I was stunned by the space reclaimed after I ran it the first time and I run it once a month to pick up on any updates that may have added bloat. And bloat is not your friend when you have 128GB to play with!

There's a limited Trial version, but one of the best software investments (all of $14.95) I have spent on Mac so far.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I meant to mention this in my earlier post, but you seem to have it covered - the 11" (and now, I understand, the 13") does not have a ethernet port in it, so you can't connect hardwire into an internet modem unless you buy a USB > Ethernet dongle for it. Not an issue for connectivity as it sounds you already rely on a wi-fi connection but, that said, I have had some occasion where a hardwire connection would be helpful - usually in setting up / troubleshooting the internet connection and/or modem. I've managed without, but again, it would have simplified some things to have the hardwire option.

Meanwhile, in a completely unrelated subject, I should have also mentioned that, given the limited storage of the SSD on an 11", I also invested in a terrific software program called Xslimmer (Xslimmer - Your Mac, on a Diet!) . It intelligently scans and strips apps of unneeded languages, older code not used in your version of the OS X and a whack of other background stuff. It significantly reduces the size of some apps, including those built into the OS. Dead easy to use - click the 'Genie', it scans and shows you the apps with the amount it can reduce it to and you hit 'Slim' to do so. Capable of doing backups so you can reverse the process, but I've never had an issue with it. I was stunned by the space reclaimed after I ran it the first time and I run it once a month to pick up on any updates that may have added bloat. And bloat is not your friend when you have 128GB to play with!

There's a limited Trial version, but one of the best software investments (all of $14.95) I have spent on Mac so far.

I had to buy a router yesterday, I found out a lack of an Ethernet port was an issue at first. But I was able to set it up through WIFI settings on the bottom of the router.
I just need to figure out how to change the standard password.
Thanks for the link, I may give it a look.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
With most routers, you get into the router's settings by visiting the IP address of the router in a web browser. Often either 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. The default username and password for these settings should be on the router itself or its documentation. Once you are into the settings, you'll probably see a menu for the wifi settings which should allow you to change the wifi network name and its password. Make sure you pick WPA2 as the security method.

Thanks Karen.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for info and link. My current router had been playing nice with all my devices thanks for the heads up.
Are any of you doing a iTunes library on a external drive with the MBA? If so how is it working. I've had movie streaming issues when doing a external drive iTunes library with my 2007 iMac. But when the library is on the same drive as the OS streaming is perfect.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have an 11 MBA for all your uses except AppleTV.

I have the 128GB with 8GB RAM.

No complaints. I bought it instead of an iPad. I also have an iMac.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have an 11 MBA for all your uses except AppleTV.

I have the 128GB with 8GB RAM.

No complaints. I bought it instead of an iPad. I also have an iMac.

When I get a MBA I'm going to keep rocking my iPad 2 on the road the MBA will stay home.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How is the MBA with 4 gig of Ram? Anyone? As I mentioned before I'm just going to surfing and streaming and syncing No photoshop no intense app work. Almost like a glorified iPad.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR