Thinking about moving from 17-inch laptop PC to 13-inch Macbook Air...

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Windows 8.1 Pro Laptop PC. I purchased it from Wal-Mart about 2 years ago and now it is not selling anymore (not sure why because mine works 100% fine).

I want to sell it because the 17-inch laptop is too big for me when it comes to school. It was fine while I was at home watching TV on it and such but now that I am in class and going to school the 17-inch laptop is just ridiculous. I feel like I can't bring it to class cause it would be too distracting even if I were to sit in the back of the class. LOL I have my iPad which I am using for now but I want to invest in something that will work with my iPhone 5S (and then iPhone 6 when it comes out) and my iPad seamlessly. I can easily use my desktop to play any game I want to... as that is what I am doing at the moment anyway.

My questions are...
  1. Is it an easy transition?
  2. Do you think the $850 (if I get that much) will be enough to cover my new Macbook Air? I was thinking about buying a 2013 version.
  3. Is there a reason I should get a regular macbook instead of the air?
  4. Do you think a Macbook is good for class?
  5. Is there a smaller size I should get for class? I'm looking for portability but at the same time, I don't want it to be too small... like my iPad. Right now that is too small for me to take notes on. I have 70-80 wpm when typing which is why I need a different laptop.

Anyone have any advice?
I've always used PC so using OSX will be a change for me. Not sure if I can do it since I hated linux when I tried it...

Attachments

• P101-170005-main-ar.jpg
    P101-170005-main-ar.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited by a moderator:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is it an easy transition?-

It was for me- I made the switch 4 years ago and never looked back. Its a much smoother operating system and I don't find myself wanting/needing a new one all the time

Do you think the $850 (if I get that much) will be enough to cover my new Macbook Air? I was thinking about buying a 2013 version.
You might have to kick in a little- also take a look at the refurbished ones on the apple site- they come with the same warrantee as a new one

Is there a reason I should get a regular macbook instead of the air?
Nah get the air- much lighter and more portable

Do you think a Macbook is good for class?
Don't see why not- although I haven't been in class for quite some time...

Is there a smaller size I should get for class? I'm looking for portability but at the same time, I don't want it to be too small... like my iPad. Right now that is too small for me to take notes on. I have 70-80 wpm when typing which is why I need a different laptop.
I wouldn't go smaller than the 13 inch model- that being said I would suggest going to the store to look at the sizes.

Last edited:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I jumped from a 15" Win7 laptop to an 11" Air, but like you, I had an iPad, so the screen jump didn't feel dramatic. I'm good with my 11" - so good, in fact, I got rid of the iPad - but I appreciate for school that an 13" might be a better fit. Also, the weight of the Air is a huge selling point over a regular MacBook and you'll appreciate that as you lug stuff from class to class. Just get a good sleeve to slip it into before it goes into your backpack.

I would advise getting the largest SSD you can afford. That said, I have the 128 SSD and have a whack of documents, over 700 pics, an iTunes jammed with music and some 40 vids, and probably around 20 apps over above those in the OS - and still have 50 GB free. But there's nothing wrong with wishing for more wiggle room, if needed. I do have a portable drive which I partitioned off - 50% for Time Machine (the backup program) and 50% for files and manual backup of stuff I don't need on the Air daily - and that cost me around $60.

There is a learning curve shifting from Win to Mac, for sure. Its not as archaic as Linux can be - obvious things happen when you click on icons and you really need not dig about in the OS and know weird scripts to do stuff - but the biggest 'issues' I had with the transition was app installation process (apps outside of their App Store, which automates the whole process), which is easily figured out and the whole 'close a window doesn't close the app' thing, which can irritate me to this day.
Overall, I'd just recommend that if this is route you think you want to go, you do it and play around with OS and install apps you think you'll need (or the school requires) before taking it into class the first time.

Which brings up another point - its probably worth checking with your school and see if they have any preference as to operating system or that your classes don't have required products / infrastructure that are incompatible with Mac. Hey, it happens. Less these days, but its still happens.

As for software, there's plenty out there, but the most obvious product is going to be some sort of Office suite. Again, check with the school as to whether they / their profs have a preferred file type when submitting documents. There's a bunch of cloud-based apps out there these days (Google, Office 365, etc) but they rely on always having access to the net. That makes me nervous. Meanwhile, as for on-board apps, Apple has their own iWork Suite, but I gotta tell you, its default file types are not very popular in most business situations and to Export to... something that is more compatible can be a pain. Also, while you'd think there's something very attractive about, say, creating something on your Air and then auto sync'ing it over (via iCloud) to your iPad for convenience, often the sync is significantly less than perfect. Also vise-versa.
There is, of course, still Microsoft Office for Mac - and a student edition exists at a discount, but you may find the school has access to an even deeper discount worth exploring. That said, if money is truly an issue, you can always download the excellent and free LibreOffice Suite - it allows you to set as default the file types most popular (or required by the school) as well as save to PDF (as both MS Office and iWorks do) and has a familiar layout.

Also, you might just want to do a check of your peripherals (printer / scanner) and ensure they have drivers for Mac. A quickie Google can usually confirm this, though the MacOS is pretty good about having a built-in library of drivers for most products. You don't want to get yourself all set up only to discover you can't print out something!

Finally, as far as price - I'd certainly check out Apple's online refurb store (as noted by phreddyl above) and if there's anything special happening at an Apple Store, but again, check with your school - they may have a deal direct with Apple via their computer or book store for an additional discount. Apple has a rep for wanting to get hold of students, though their discounts aren't usually anywhere near what Win laptop users can usually find.

You may need to fork over some additional cash to get the Air you want (and really, its up to you whether you can afford the AppleCare on top of that, too - maybe that can be a gift from your parents?), but I'll tell you, I've had my Air for three years now (no AppleCare) and I've had no hardware issues with it all (knock on wood), while I've grown to mostly like the OS and see no reason to 'upgrade' the device. When I had Win laptops, I was generally looking at a replacement every year and a half.

I hope some of this helps. Have a great school year!

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it an easy transition?
From Windows to Mac? Yes.

Do you think the $850 (if I get that much) will be enough to cover my new Macbook Air? I was thinking about buying a 2013 version.
Probably not. There are refirb 2013 models on the Apple Store (go to the way bottom, refirb & closeouts) MacConnection also has refirbs.

Is there a reason I should get a regular macbook instead of the air?
By "regular MacBook" do you mean the Retina MacBook Pro? Depends on how much of a power user you are. But, I'd say the Air is a great choice for class.

Do you think a Macbook is good for class?
Yes, any model will be great for class.

Is there a smaller size I should get for class? I'm looking for portability but at the same time, I don't want it to be too small... like my iPad. Right now that is too small for me to take notes on. I have 70-80 wpm when typing which is why I need a different laptop.
There's an 11" MacBook Air. It's nice, but very small. Smaller battery. Most reviewers recommend going for the 13". Only $100 difference.

Let us know what you end up buying.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys!

I got the 13" MBA and I hated it when I used it for the one hour I did. The OS was weird (it would be when I am used to Windows) but more importantly, it didn't have the physical left and right buttons like the picture I have on my OP does and that annoyed the HELL out of me, especially since you can't double tap anywhere on the touchpad to click, you have to physically press down on the bottom left or right to click or you have to quadruple tap on the touchpad to click or something. Idk it annoyed the hell out of me.

So, I used it for an hour and then reset it and returned it. LOL I guess I'm not as much of an Apple person as I thought.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I get you on the touch pad and the stupid keystroke combo things. I only use it when absolutely necessary. I forgot to mention that bugaboo in my post. Sorry.

I found that my wireless (USB stub) mouse from my PC notebook days returned me to blissful 2 button and scroll useability. And my Air 'saw' and worked with it immediately. Wired USB one would do the same - and small, portable ones can be found. Of course, its more of an issue when in class and you may not have a flat surface immediately to hand. I wouldn't give up on the Mac entirely though.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what you are talking about with the trackpad. The trackpad responds all over and you definitely don't have to click down in certain spots (or even press down at all, a tap is all you need). I 'left click' with a single tap anywhere on the trackpad and 'right click' with a two-finger tap anywhere on the trackpad.
Anyway if it's not for you, that's fine. We should all use the tech we are happy with. But if you ever find yourself with a Mac again, in the System Preferences mouse section, there's a list of all the things you can do with the trackpad and little video demonstrations of them. A few of the gestures even have options that you can change.

That's what I don't like. That you can click wherever. I prefer the certain spots.