Replace 2011 iMac 21" w/ MBA or rMBP?

pfry10

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Looking for advice with replacing my iMac. Would it be possible to replace it with a MacBook Air or should I replace it with the MacBook Pro Retina?

Let me provide first how I currently utilize my iMac. Web surfing, emailing, minor photo editing, minor video editing of small videos of my family, digital backup of DVDs we have purchased (handbrake), using MS Word & Excel, and Pages & Numbers. NO gaming. I store all of my media currently on 2 external drives. All docs and photos on a 1 GB drive and all video media on a 4TB drive.

I'm interested in a 2013 MacBook Air i7 8GB. 256 SSD. Would this model be efficient enough to provide all of the above functionality or would I be better off with a 13" MacBook Pro retina i5 8GB 256 SSD?

Thanks!

UJ95x

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't get the i7 MBA. That model you're looking at is almost the same price as the 256GB rMBP 13". But the Pro has a vastly better display, and the CPU is about as powerful.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Last edited:

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
MBA vs. rMBP comes down to three criteria, really: Portability, battery life & screen quality.

If you want absolutely the most portable laptop (most slim & light), get the Air.
If you need something a little more powerful, but still quite portable, get the Pro.

The Air gets about 2-3 more hours of battery time compared to the Pro. If those extra hours are important to you, get the Air.

Iff you want a screen that is more comfortable to the eyes, and future proof, get the Pro.
If screen quality is secondary, get the Air.

One more point. If you want maximum power and portability, you can spend an extra $150 and get the i7 processor in the Air. Then you will have all your bases covered, more or less.

And, absolutely upgrade to 8GB of RAM on the Air (the Pro comes with 8GB standard)

My take? Get the 13" MacBook Air with the i7.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234