New to apple laptops should I get air or pro?

karh

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey so I'm apple everything Ipod, tablet, phone....recently I'm selling my ROG asus computer simply because I'm not getting the use out of it anymore and want to switch apple .

Cause it works best for me, as far as not breaking on me. Been through too many windows computers in my life just due to wear. So this is my first apple! I've used a desktop before in school but laptops are portable and easy to move, so no desktop :)

Now I've a little research and an looking at the more affordable MacBook Air 13 inch. But don't know if it's the best option.

- I love watching a lot movies/TV shows
-multitasking 2-3 things at a time
- ability to burn CDs/DVDS but not hardcore
-backlit keyboard
- I want to use it for writing books, editing for videos (music videos)
- play the sims 3 (with 1 or 2 expansions added

Now what kind of software does it come preloaded with....besides ITunes, IMovie Safari....and are buying decent video editing writing softwares affordable? Eg,final cut pro , garage band...

I wasn't clear on if it allowed flash videos, watching .avi or anything not apple video, had a card reader for SD memory, how AirPrint would work with my ipad? , do they allow you to connect an external hard drive and play back from it? So I can save space on the laptop itself

Last I have a kapersky security set up? Is that transferable from windows to apple? Or would I need a whole new one, I have a good 100 days left on my windows one....

Thank you! I'm excited but confused. I'll answer any questions to help clarify my expectations and what I'm looking to use it for.

Thanks again
Karh

karh

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Edit: I forgot to mention. I've used all 5 of the allowed computer hookups for my iTunes account? Do I start over now and lose everything or how does that work? I'm just worried about losing it all.

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Even the new Pros do not have an optical drive. So, you're going to be purchasing one of those regardless. I would say either one would work depending upon the graphics of the music videos. You may find a Pro slightly better for those things.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
You could purchase a refurbished older model (2012) MacBook Pro if you want the drive included.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

karh

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
If I had to purchase an optical drive. Does it work well with the laptop? Or is it a little laggy and buggy. I just don't want to over complicate things. I can still watch movies right? The optical is just to burn CDs or DVDs. I don't know if you would know either, if I could get a blueray optical just curious. And the optical works separately as in it works outside the MacBook, or am I completely off haha. Thanks so much for your input

karh

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Where would you buy a refurbished MacBook? I've never heard of refurbished apple products other than hand me down phones or iPods...

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Where would you buy a refurbished MacBook? I've never heard of refurbished apple products other than hand me down phones or iPods...

You can buy apple certified refurbished products at a discount on the apple store website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krans97

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Is this a right time to get macbook air? I am waiting for new one to get introduced in WWDC 14

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app