I just bought my first Mac!

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
What are some suggestions for an external hard drive, that are Mac compatible? Thanks

Don't be conned / ripped off by the Mac-formatted external hard drives out there - especially those sold at a significant premium. Any old HDD will do. I use a portable Seagate 1TB portable (doesn't require an external power source) model, which I got on sale.

I simply ran the Disk Utility > Click on Drive > Erase > Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to properly format it - and then, in my case, I then used Disk Format > Partition to split the HDD in two - one partition of 500GB as space for my Time Machine, the other 500GB as my Expansion Drive for items I don't need on my Air on a daily (mobile) basis.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Don't be conned / ripped off by the Mac-formatted external hard drives out there - especially those sold at a significant premium. Any old HDD will do. I use a portable Seagate 1TB portable (doesn't require an external power source) model, which I got on sale.

I simply ran the Disk Utility > Click on Drive > Erase > Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to properly format it - and then, in my case, I then used Disk Format > Partition to split the HDD in two - one partition of 500GB as space for my Time Machine, the other 500GB as my Expansion Drive for items I don't need on my Air on a daily (mobile) basis.

Thank you Bazza,
So is this as easy to do as it sounds? Or am I going to turn a $100 EHD into a paperweight when I try it out?
I'll keep this reference until I order one, thanks again for the tip.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Bazza,
So is this as easy to do as it sounds? Or am I going to turn a $100 EHD into a paperweight when I try it out?
I'll keep this reference until I order one, thanks again for the tip.

joemd60 - I just did a quickie Google and found a YouTube on this that is quite good. In his case, he's created 3 partitions - one for Time Machine, one for Mac files and one for Windows files, so he can share the HDD with a Windows computer. Also, you'll note the Partitioning allows you to set the formatting for each partition and deals with it all, whereas I did a full format and then the partition. Both clearly work. Hope this takes the some of the fear factor away - though frankly, If I could do it fearlessly and without screwing up, anybody can.... :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc9VnF-QIdY

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
joemd60 - I just did a quickie Google and found a YouTube on this that is quite good. In his case, he's created 3 partitions - one for Time Machine, one for Mac files and one for Windows files, so he can share the HDD with a Windows computer. Also, you'll note the Partitioning allows you to set the formatting for each partition and deals with it all, whereas I did a full format and then the partition. Both clearly work. Hope this takes the some of the fear factor away - though frankly, If I could do it fearlessly and without screwing up, anybody can.... :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc9VnF-QIdY

Thank you Bazza! Much appreciated. I'll keep that on file.

Agrinho

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Congratulations, I'm sure you love it by now. I went from Windows to Mac not knowing anything about it, but it was a very natural experience for me.

allure08

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
My 2013 MacBook Air 13" model will be in tomorrow evening! What are some free and paid apps from the Mac App Store that are must haves? And I would appreciate any OS X tips and tricks as this is the first Mac I've ever owned, or used ( For more then 45 minuets). Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
welcome to the family! i got my first mac in 2009 and i have been with macs ever since! you just can't go back to trashy windows after that...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro