just received the MacBook Air, have to say so far its awesome device.
    Congrats to you Taz. I had no idea you just got a MPA. Way to go and enjoy it. I am sure you will and now I am jealous.
    taz323 likes this.
    06-13-2014 06:55 PM
    Congrats to you Taz. I had no idea you just got a MPA. Way to go and enjoy it. I am sure you will and now I am jealous.
    Sorry, lol, but it is pretty sweet.
    06-13-2014 07:16 PM
    I just picked up a Macbook Air yesterday and so far its a very nice device with excellent battery life, the only issue I have is coming from windows 8 there is a huge learning curve.
    09-05-2014 09:26 AM
    I also got a MBA 13" Early 2014 model 3 weeks back and I am loving it so far. I tried Onedrive from Microsoft and its awesome! It gives you 15GB of free space + 3GB once you enable camera roll on your cellphone. Besides this, you also get an option to use MS Suite(Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Outlook etc) online. I tried Word yesterday and works like a charm! Prepared a doc and then downloaded it to my local disk and it easily gets opened in Apple's pages. I like Onedrive!
    09-05-2014 09:35 AM
    Congrats! I do love my MBA too. I will look into the OneDrive. Thanks.
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    09-05-2014 11:14 AM
    You're gonna love it.
    Good Luck
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    09-05-2014 06:11 PM
    I never understand when everyone says there is a learning curve from Windows. I had two PCs before I got my first Mac and I adjusted within a week.
    09-06-2014 03:52 AM
    Congratulation. Happy Macbooking.
    09-06-2014 04:03 AM
    I never understand when everyone says there is a learning curve from Windows. I had two PCs before I got my first Mac and I adjusted within a week.
    That's Ok, it varies from person to person. It took me a week too to learn and now I look for the close/max/min button on left side in Windows on my office laptop!
    09-06-2014 07:55 AM
    Congratulations, welcome to the Mac club =)

My 2013 MacBook Air 13" model will be in tomorrow evening! What are some free and paid apps from the Mac App Store that are must haves? And I would appreciate any OS X tips and tricks as this is the first Mac I've ever owned, or used ( For more then 45 minuets). Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    09-16-2014 02:35 PM
    Hello all, I just ordered a MacBook Air 11.6. This is of course my first Mac.
    And I am curious, do I need to order anti-virus software for it? Thanks
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    10-02-2014 06:25 PM
    Hello all, I just ordered a MacBook Air 11.6. This is of course my first Mac.
    And I am curious, do I need to order anti-virus software for it? Thanks
    Probably not. Just be careful where you surf. Personal choice of course but you'll find a lot of OS X users that do not run anti-virus software.
    joemd60 likes this.
    10-02-2014 07:12 PM
    Congratulations and enjoy you new Mac.
    I don't use any AV software and never had an issue.
    Good Luck
    joemd60 likes this.
    10-02-2014 08:02 PM
    Probably not. Just be careful where you surf. Personal choice of course but you'll find a lot of OS X users that do not run anti-virus software.
    There's free anti-virus out there (I use Avira, as I did on my PC - http://forums.imore.com/e?link=http%...token=0kt1n-wr) as well as on the Mac Store, so why not take advantage of it? It may be a belt and suspenders move, but rabid Macoyltes who insist Mac is impregnable or even "probably not" doesn't instill me with faith.

As Karenkcoulter suggests, one needs to be vigilant on the web, but also, I use it as a goodwill gesture. I create, alter and email documents back and forth with other individuals - some PC, some Mac - and while an infected file might make it to me and not cause a problem on my Mac, I would hate to forward that along to someone else not so protected.

In my case, Avira allows all sorts of opportunities for user settings (when to update and scan, what to scan if you're picky) and updates and scans are done in the background - while I've not noticed a significant hit on resources using it. Like I said, its free, so why not?
    joemd60 and UJ95x like this.
    10-04-2014 07:20 AM
    How many of you use Time Machine? Is it a good idea to set that up? Thanks
    10-07-2014 04:31 PM
    How many of you use Time Machine? Is it a good idea to set that up? Thanks
    Oh absolutely! Time machine is amazing and a must for all Mac users!

Sent from my HTC M8
    joemd60 likes this.
    10-07-2014 04:56 PM
    Oh absolutely! Time machine is amazing and a must for all Mac users!

Sent from my HTC M8
    Agreed. I haven't needed it much but I like the insurance of knowing I have the backup.
    joemd60 likes this.
    10-07-2014 05:42 PM
    Thanks, my first Mac. And I wonder why it took me many Windows machines before I got one.
    EmceeGeek and TurboTiger like this.
    10-07-2014 06:47 PM
    Thanks, my first Mac. And I wonder why it took me many Windows machines before I got one.
    I remember thinking the same. I got my first Mac in 2011 and haven't looked back.
    joemd60 and TurboTiger like this.
    10-07-2014 06:49 PM
    What are some suggestions for an external hard drive, that are Mac compatible? Thanks
    Last edited by joemd60; 10-11-2014 at 04:20 AM.
    10-11-2014 04:06 AM
    What are some suggestions for an external hard drive, that are Mac compatible? Thanks
    Don't be conned / ripped off by the Mac-formatted external hard drives out there - especially those sold at a significant premium. Any old HDD will do. I use a portable Seagate 1TB portable (doesn't require an external power source) model, which I got on sale.

I simply ran the Disk Utility > Click on Drive > Erase > Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to properly format it - and then, in my case, I then used Disk Format > Partition to split the HDD in two - one partition of 500GB as space for my Time Machine, the other 500GB as my Expansion Drive for items I don't need on my Air on a daily (mobile) basis.
    joemd60 likes this.
    10-12-2014 08:01 PM
    Don't be conned / ripped off by the Mac-formatted external hard drives out there - especially those sold at a significant premium. Any old HDD will do. I use a portable Seagate 1TB portable (doesn't require an external power source) model, which I got on sale.

I simply ran the Disk Utility > Click on Drive > Erase > Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to properly format it - and then, in my case, I then used Disk Format > Partition to split the HDD in two - one partition of 500GB as space for my Time Machine, the other 500GB as my Expansion Drive for items I don't need on my Air on a daily (mobile) basis.
    Thank you Bazza,
    So is this as easy to do as it sounds? Or am I going to turn a $100 EHD into a paperweight when I try it out?
    I'll keep this reference until I order one, thanks again for the tip.
    10-12-2014 09:02 PM
    Thank you Bazza,
    So is this as easy to do as it sounds? Or am I going to turn a $100 EHD into a paperweight when I try it out?
    It is that easy. There's nothing special about the hardware of an external hard drive to make it for a Mac. Just the way a drive is formatted.
    taz323 and joemd60 like this.
    10-12-2014 09:04 PM
    It is that easy. There's nothing special about the hardware of an external hard drive to make it for a Mac. Just the way a drive is formatted.
    Thanks Karen, I'll look around Amazon and see what they have.
    10-12-2014 09:17 PM
    Thank you Bazza,
    joemd60 - I just did a quickie Google and found a YouTube on this that is quite good. In his case, he's created 3 partitions - one for Time Machine, one for Mac files and one for Windows files, so he can share the HDD with a Windows computer. Also, you'll note the Partitioning allows you to set the formatting for each partition and deals with it all, whereas I did a full format and then the partition. Both clearly work. Hope this takes the some of the fear factor away - though frankly, If I could do it fearlessly and without screwing up, anybody can....

joemd60 likes this.
    10-13-2014 08:58 PM
56 123