Gap between top and bottom part, clicking noise

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey.

My MBA 2012 does something that can best be described by watching it on video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8soas9w3ib9mtls/Video 05.01.14 12 32 17.mov

There apparently is a gap between both sides of the device which wasn't there when I bought it. I treat it very gently and am super careful. It didn't drop or anything.

Most threads I found seem to be about loose screws but that doesn't seem to be my problem.

I had an apple store appointment concerning my iPhone and I tried to bring my MacBook to the table, as well. The genius said that this wouldn't be possible and I had to make an extra appointment - thanks for nothing. I pushed him to hear me out and told him about the gap and my concern that it could become worse or damage the screen. He said he had the same problem with a MBA and many heavy books together in his backpack which bend the device. Great help...!

What do you think? Should I make another appointment in hope for a more understanding genius employee?

Would you be concerned about any damages that could occur?

Thanks so much!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you handle your device as gently as you claim, and that there doesn't appear to be any loose screws on or in it then the genius who mentioned his experience in regard to heavy books bending his MBA could be right. You did not state whether or not you place your MBA in the back pack with books. As for as being concerned about the tiny gap I witnessed in your video, I would not be concerned, especially if it functions without any problems and have no damages to it, but that's Just Me, D...;)...It's your device so....

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do carry the air in my backpack but without any books or anything heavy that could put pressure on it. And it rests in a laptop department which protects and prevents from hitting the ground.

I may should have mentioned that the gap is on both sides. Isn't it unlikely that it would bend so equably?

Thanks for your opinion. What does the rest of you think?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible that, depending on where you live, the temperature could have an effect on it?

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so, I'm speaking to you from germany and the winter here is extremely mild this year. :)
In addition, I only carry my backpack from car to a building and vice versa, now that I'm not studying anymore.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73