MBA really worth it?

wolfdale

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if the cost for a MBA (~$900) is really worth it. To me I can practically get the same (and even better) desktop by just going with a $200 laptop loaded with Xubuntu, which I do have. My dilemma follows. I program dot NET apps at work and I wanted to start developing iPhone apps but in order to do so I have to by a Mac. I need help justifying the outlandish cost for a MBA/MBP. I would appreciate some feedback from linux uses.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I ran Ubuntu as my primary OS for over 4 years. I love Linux but it was so tiresome to tackle hardware issues every six months. Eventually I went LTS only and then outright moved to Debian just so I'd have stability.

For me OS X brings the usefulness of Unix without the frustrations of Linux.

For that I'm willing to pay a premium
For bundled OS X software I'm willing to pay a premium.
For Apple build quality and design, I'm willing to pay a premium.

The thing about Apple is that there is no buying it in part. It's a package deal: hardware and software. If you're OK with that, you're golden. It's not nearly as versatile or modular as Linux but it is virtually pain free for the end user.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If your Xubuntu laptop has enough horsepower and supports the IDE and related dev/test tools that you need to use for iOS development, then you could start out with what you have. If the laptop is going to struggle and take a relatively long time for compiles and debugging, then that may be a breakpoint for you to consider a more modern and robust system.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You could get a Mac desktop and then use your Xubuntu laptop to remote in to it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2