Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Banned

Default Hook your Macbook Air up to a 20 inch monitor and you have a Mac Pro.

This is what I've been doing recently. With having this huge screen real estate, I feel that it gives basically the same effect. I feel like I have either an iMac or a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro.

Has anyone else been doing this and enjoying the results?

Default Re: Hook your Macbook Air up to a 20 inch monitor and you have a Mac Pro.

I haven't as of yet, but thank you for the heads up and sharing.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts

Default Re: Hook your Macbook Air up to a 20 inch monitor and you have a Mac Pro.

I had toyed with the idea of buying a Macbook Air and doing this. My issue is that my current laptop is 11.6'' and while I'm fine with that size on a cheap portable laptop, I feel like if I bought an Apple computer, I'd want something larger since I'd already be in a grand anyway. I think I'll end up settling on a Mac Mini and using my chromebook to remote into my Mac.

At any rate, I do dock my current laptop (11.6'' Samsung Chromebook) into a 24'' 1080p LED Samsung monitor and the results are pretty fantastic. The laptop's built-in display kind of sucks (bad viewing angles, bad colors) but it is adequate for mobile work. The external monitor as amazing for when I'm at home and need a better display because I'm watching movies or messing with photos or w/e
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Banned

You got really great points. I have it connected to a 20 inch I believe. And it's like they 1920 display.

Just to have all that screen space is great. But I'm wondering if the iMacs and Mac Pros displays are retina?

And will it give you almost the same effect? As far as scale goes, everything from my pictures to everything else plays in very HD.

All on my teeny little MacBook Air, which makes it feel even more powerful. Think about that concept.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

The iMac and Mac Pro don't come with displays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    The iMac and Mac Pro don't come with displays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse
    Realy? Hmmm. Not too sure you know what your talking about.
    Pretty sure the iMac 21.5 comes with a 21.5" display and the 27" one comes with a... Wait for it 27" display.
    Sent from my fingers touching the screen.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

That is why I bought an 11 inch MBA. I have a 21 inch 1080p monitor with keyboard and mouse on my desk where I usually use my !machine. When I have to move around a lot nothing beats my. Ultra portable MBA.

I Dont know about it being a Pro though. LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

i just bought my first macbook air today! how does one connect their macbook pro onto their TV?

The easiest way is if you have an Apple TV with air play.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:

Global Posts
    7,032 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Does the Air have an hdmi port? Then use that. If not get a display port to hdmi adapter and output it that way.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Does the Air have an hdmi port? Then use that. If not get a display port to hdmi adapter and output it that way.
    Mini DisplayPort to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support - Monoprice.com

Under $7 plus shipping... I have been using Monoprice for years - never an issue with them or their wares.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina