Why is pages so utterly baffling to work with?

Simon2015

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Why is pages so utterly baffling to work with? With Keynote, I can add a slide, move slides around, etc.

With pages, I can't work out how to add a second page without:
1. It creating a section
2. It adding a 3rd page that I don't want.

Can I turn the 'Create Section' off?

Any thoughts? It's exasperating. The guy at the apple shop didn't know how to get round this (and actually wanted to avoid answering my question). I have been waiting for apple to fix this for over a year!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm still unsure to what exactly you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to create some sort of presentation using the Pages app or what?

jessica62578

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I share your frustration. The formatting in Pages can be downright maddening. Apple has streamlined it to make its interface look "simple", but unfortunately it is still a complicated program. I would love to see them have some sort of "Advanced view" so you find and work with all of those features easily. One would think adding a page break would accomplish just that, but sometimes the resulting behavior is not quite what you were after. Honestly, I have decided to use Word over Pages. I regret that I don't have an answer to your question, other than ask "hey have you tired this other program instead...?" :cool:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I share your frustration. The formatting in Pages can be downright maddening. Apple has streamlined it to make its interface look "simple", but unfortunately it is still a complicated program. I would love to see them have some sort of "Advanced view" so you find and work with all of those features easily. One would think adding a page break would accomplish just that, but sometimes the resulting behavior is not quite what you were after. Honestly, I have decided to use Word over Pages. I regret that I don't have an answer to your question, other than ask "hey have you tired this other program instead...?" :cool:

That's not "complicated," that's unintuitive.

There are other Word Processors that are far more "complicated" than Pages - like Microsoft Word (2011/2016) and Corel WordPerfect X7 - that have no issues doing things as simple as the OP is asking for.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's not "complicated," that's unintuitive.

There are other Word Processors that are far more "complicated" than Pages - like Microsoft Word (2011/2016) and Corel WordPerfect X7 - that have no issues doing things as simple as the OP is asking for.

It depends on your experience. I didn't grow up with computers. When I was in college, there were no personal computers. Today at age 62, I have little experience on them. So Pages is very foreign and complicated for many.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It depends on your experience. I didn't grow up with computers. When I was in college, there were no personal computers. Today at age 62, I have little experience on them. So Pages is very foreign and complicated for many.

It's not about experience. It's an objective comparison. People have varying degrees of computer literacy, and that doesn't determine how complicated an app is. It only seems complicated due to their limited proficiency with this type of technology in general. iWork apps are generally considered simple in comparison to their commercial (and some free) peers.

They are Microsoft Works class productivity applications.

If Pages is complicated to you, than Word and WordPerfect would be unsolvable Rubik Cubes of usability.

Lack of familiarity and technical proficiency doesn't make an app complicated, but it can be used as a gauge for intuitiveness.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What about the Microsoft apps? Word, excel?

I haven't used pages, I bought DocsToGo and it works fine for me

macproname

Mar 26, 2018
Visit site
Make sure you are in Word Processing mode not Page Layout.
Then insert a Page Break. Alternatively when you fill a page. Pages will automatically start a new page.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You Are Not Alone wish I could help pages is baffling to me also I stick with Microsoft Word as complicated as it is

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2