Which Mac Pro to make Logic 9 run like Usain Bolt?

r_ckw_ll

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Im in the market to upgrade my studio Mac as my current system is not powerful enough for my Logic 9 needs, and is seriously hindering my workflow and creativity with the continual 'system overload - the audio engine was not able to process all required data in time' message.

I have a 27" iMac 2.8ghz i5 from 2010 with 16GB of ram, and use Logic 9 with some VERY large projects and I'm sick of constantly having to bounce channels / groups in order for projects to even play through without seeing the system overload message.

I am looking to upgrade to a Mac Pro but have a few concerns regarding which model to choose. Performance-wise i am looking for a machine that will run Logic 9 like an absolute dream, and i am torn between the following three machines -

1) New Mac Pro quad 3.7ghz
2) Older Mac Pro 6 core 3.3ghz
3) Older Mac Pro 12 Core 2.66ghz

I am unsure basically whether to lean towards processors with more cores or higher clock speed, as i am unsure which will benefit Logic 9 the most and make it run fluidly. (This is also assuming the processor is the source of my woes as using Activity Monitor i seem to be nowhere near maxing out my RAM but the CPU monitor in the Logic 9 window is continually smashing into the red and prompting the overload message.)

I also need to consider -

1) As i am using Logic 9, i am still using OSX 10.6.8 (after using all newer versions up to Mavericks this is by far the most stable.) I am assuming that this will not be possible if i am using one of the newer Mac Pro models. I use Logic X on my portable studio and I'm not sold on it enough to warrant it being on my main studio computer.

2) I am using firewire 800 to connect my UAD2 satellite and Apogee Ensemble, both of which i cannot live without. I am also assuming as there are no firewire ports on the new Mac Pro this will be another problem that will need a workaround.

Any help that people can give me is gratefully appreciated, and any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What does the Software developer recommend for hardware specs? Get that, or better that's in your budget.

r_ckw_ll

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help Keith. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately the recommended hardware specs for Logic 9 are "more than 2GB of RAM" which is of little help. It runs fine on my 2010 iMac i5 with 16GB of RAM, but i want something to really power through and not break a sweat when i'm approaching and surpassing 100 channels.

I have read since my first post that i am unable to install OSX 10.6.8 on anything including, and past a 2012 mac pro so i'm probably going to have to plump for a 2010 / 2009.

Within my budget i am looking at

1) mac pro 4.1 8 core 2.93 GHZ - approx ?1000
2) mac pro 5.1 12 core 2.66 GHZ - approx ?1500
3) mac pro 5.1 12 core 2.93 GHZ - approx ?2000
4) mac pro 5.1 12 core 3.06 GHZ - approx ?2400

I suppose my question is - as this computer is solely for Logic 9, am i going to see a drastic increase in the softwares performance as we increase cores and processor speed. I am reluctant to spend ?2400 on the 12 core 3.06 that is actually going to be only 20% better than the 8 core 2.93 for my needs...

For example there seems to be a difference in opinion from what i've read regarding the necessity of having 12 cores, as some state that Logic cant distribute over the 12 cores, but others stating the 12 cores enables a more fluid experience with the ability to run a larger number of tracks.

decisions, decisions!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711