Apple Mighty Mouse Problems and Recommended Alternatives?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I have a longstanding and ongoing battle with the Apple Mighty Mouse. Believe I'm on my 4th (yes 4th) version of the mouse.

The first one I purchased, the battery door was somehow dented. The door would not close properly, making the mouse usable only if I left the door off. Apple kindly sent me a replacement.

The second (replacement) mighty mouse stopped working about 3 months into its tenure. I still liked the mouse enough to purchase another one, which I did, and that one broke another 6 months later.

I must be a sucker for punishment, because I picked up another one, and I've been using it to this day.

My questions are:

1. Anyone else out there having similar issues with the Mighty Mouse?
  2. Am I a sucker for going back to the Mighty Mouse?
  3. Are there any good alternatives? The reason I keep going back is I love the design and feel of it... and it works really well for me (at least, when it's working)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I have a longstanding and ongoing battle with the Apple Mighty Mouse. Believe I'm on my 4th (yes 4th) version of the mouse.

The first one I purchased, the battery door was somehow dented. The door would not close properly, making the mouse usable only if I left the door off. Apple kindly sent me a replacement.

The second (replacement) mighty mouse stopped working about 3 months into its tenure. I still liked the mouse enough to purchase another one, which I did, and that one broke another 6 months later.

I must be a sucker for punishment, because I picked up another one, and I've been using it to this day.

My questions are:

1. No sir, but I'm content with my MacBook's mousepad...:)
    [*]Am I a sucker for going back to the Mighty Mouse?
    (laughing)..That's debatable...:)
    [*]Are there any good alternatives? The reason I keep going back is I love the design and feel of it... and it works really well for me (at least, when it's working)
But see, that's just it. It's difficult to find a mouse that matches the feel & design of Apple's mouse. Furthermore, if Apple is simply going to continue sending you replacements, continue using them. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

My questions are:

2. Am I a sucker for going back to the Mighty Mouse?
  3. Are there any good alternatives? The reason I keep going back is I love the design and feel of it... and it works really well for me (at least, when it's working)

Wow... that’s interesting. I have 2 of the mice... one that came with my wife's iMac and the second that I bought at the time i bought my first MBP, about 3-4 years ago. The only issue that I have with either is the short (IMO) battery life. I have switched to rechargeable batteries and while I still have to charge/change them often, it’s cheaper for me and the environment.

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Mighty Mouse or Magic Mouse? I have a Mighty Mouse that has been sitting on the shelf for the best part of 3 or 4 years now, but currently use a Magic Mouse. I didn't mind the Mighty Mouse so much, except for the problem of the trackball clogging up with dust and dirt over time, and becoming more or less useless. The Magic Mouse removes that problem and introduces some cool new features to the Apple mouse as we know it.

TBH, I prefer the Magic Trackpad to any mouse, but cannot use it constantly because of a wrist injury. So I only use it occasionally, when I need the extra features of the Magic Trackpad. At all other times I now use the Magic Mouse, and have nothing bad to say about it - it just works!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I.HATE.TRACKPADS. The mighty mouse (the one with the little ball) is still my favorite too, because I like the little scroll ball, but yes, I too have gone through several, and if that makes you a sucker, it also makes ME a sucker. I just hate the trackpad option on the magic mouse so bad that I refuse to go with it, I hate trackpads in general. I have gotten more than a year out of all of them though, but I turn them over and clean go nuts with a little alcohol pad to try to keep them from gunking up whenever I can.

ewillmes

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issues, especially in Google maps (zooming in and out was almost impossible) and so forth. Nobody incl. Apple was willing or able to help. After 5 years of suffering through it, I finally made the right decision: I threw it in the garbage and replaced it with a Logitech mouse; no more issues!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2