Webcam for Mac Mini

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a Late 2012 Mac Mini Server running macOS Sierra, and am looking for an iMovie and Final Cut Pro compatible webcam. I currently have a Rocketfish HD Webcam Pro, but I am only able to get it to work on FaceTime, not iMovie or Final Cut Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations on an iMovie compatible webcam? I'm more interested in iMovie and FaceTime comparability, Final Cut Pro is secondary.

Last edited:

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I saw that, but was wondering what people here actually use. I'm more interested in iMovie and FaceTime comparability, Final Cut Pro is secondary.

Well, researching I found this:

WEBCAMS FOR OBSOLETE MACS? OSX 10.2 or OSX 10.3 PANTHER?

Think FireWire instead. Modern high-resolution UVC cams simply WILL NOT WORK on old 800mhz or less Macs, who's slow and incompatible USB 1.x speed ports are FOURTY times slower that USB 2.0. Those that claim to be USB 1.1 compatible in their Specification listings may have utterly abysmal frame-rates on USB 1.x or show NO image at all, even though Apple's System Profiler may recognize the camera exists on the USB 1.1 bus. Otherwise you're left dinking around with any of hundreds of old, discontinued webcams made for Windows and fiddling with Macam or IOXperts drivers hoping for a combination that will work.

You CAN still find decent, used Apple iSight cams at Amazon or find a deal on an iSight on eBay. Why Apple stopped manufacturing their very high-quality 1394 FireWire auto-focus web camera is beyond logic. 1394 is better than USB for video conferencing and chat in many technical aspects: External FireWire webcam compatibility with iMovie, less CPU overhead, higher frame-rates and avoids USB device contention slugging it out on a USB hub. USB cameras aren't the only options to provide Macintosh users with high quality choices to chat and videoconference using popular Mac OSX applications like FaceTime, iChat AV, Yahoo Messenger, Apple Messages, Skype, ISPQ VideoChat. Or, for capturing and uploading clips to YouTube or other video sites.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, researching I found this:

WEBCAMS FOR OBSOLETE MACS? OSX 10.2 or OSX 10.3 PANTHER?

Think FireWire instead. Modern high-resolution UVC cams simply WILL NOT WORK on old 800mhz or less Macs, who's slow and incompatible USB 1.x speed ports are FOURTY times slower that USB 2.0. Those that claim to be USB 1.1 compatible in their Specification listings may have utterly abysmal frame-rates on USB 1.x or show NO image at all, even though Apple's System Profiler may recognize the camera exists on the USB 1.1 bus. Otherwise you're left dinking around with any of hundreds of old, discontinued webcams made for Windows and fiddling with Macam or IOXperts drivers hoping for a combination that will work.

You CAN still find decent, used Apple iSight cams at Amazon or find a deal on an iSight on eBay. Why Apple stopped manufacturing their very high-quality 1394 FireWire auto-focus web camera is beyond logic. 1394 is better than USB for video conferencing and chat in many technical aspects: External FireWire webcam compatibility with iMovie, less CPU overhead, higher frame-rates and avoids USB device contention slugging it out on a USB hub. USB cameras aren't the only options to provide Macintosh users with high quality choices to chat and videoconference using popular Mac OSX applications like FaceTime, iChat AV, Yahoo Messenger, Apple Messages, Skype, ISPQ VideoChat. Or, for capturing and uploading clips to YouTube or other video sites.

So the Apple iSight camera will work with FaceTime, iMovie, and FInal Cut Pro? Thanks for the tip BTW, I will research this camera.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
So the Apple iSight camera will work with FaceTime, iMovie, and FInal Cut Pro?

I just got my iSight camera in the mail, and it is a nice piece of hardware! It works with iMovie and Quicktime 7, and Final Cut Pro. However it will not work with FaceTime. At least I have my Rocketfish HD Webcam Pro which works with FaceTime, but it is an inconvenience to have two webcams.