Buying iMac mini 2016

Hectorius

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the iMac mini this past event. My question is, would you buy an iMac mini now or wait until next year in the hopes that it will be updated?

Posted via the Note 5 or iPhone 6s Plus

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I would personally wait. That is if you have one now that is working. But if you need it now, then but it now. We do not know when Apple will be introducing the new ones. I was hoping at the October event and was disappointed they only did the MBP. I am wait for the new Mac Pro's myself.

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Love my mac Mini but would sure love Apple to come out with a Touch Bar version of their keyboard. That can be used on all of the desktop Mac's I want Touch ID everything. :D

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I would stay away from the Mac Mini. I had been a PC (dell) owner for years. I was going through computers about every 3 years. I finally decided to give Mac a try. I am shocked at how poor this thing performs. I got a 2014 version last fall (this was the latest version) I have 8gb ram and a 2.6 i5 processor. This computer is constantly churning. I get a spinning beach ball every day. I have been on the phone with Apple care, and I am told this is normal. Here are a few things I wish someone would have told me first.
1. You can not use Apple photos while using any other app. It locks up the computer
2. You can not have more than 3 or 4 web pages open at once, or it runs slow and could give you the spinning ball
3. iTunes is also a memory hog on macs.

The crazy thing is that I still have my first dell laptop from 10 years ago. I don't even know what the specs are. But I can run multiple web pages, I can run iTunes, and I can run picasa photos at the same time, and this 10 yr old laptop never gave me an issue. The only reason I don't use it anymore is the keyboard is falling apart and the screen has a hard time staying open buy itself

save your money. get an iPad.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Apple does not allow for memory or hard drive upgrades anymore. The memory is permantity in place, and the hard drive is positioned at the top of the machine, which means you have to literally take EVERYTHING out of the machine, just to get to the hard drive. Good luck getting it back together

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hope Apple will upgrade mac mini in 2017.

I'm definitely with you on this. The Mac Mini is an awesome little piece of tech. All you need is an external display, keyboard, mouse and you good to go :D

Crossing fingers for an update during the March Event in a couple days time. Its definitely in need of an upgrade or possibly a replacement. Last updated in Oct 2014 which is a shame. Definitely needs some love :) 32GB RAM options with dedicated graphics!

anon(8910885)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Mac Mini is definitely worth looking into in 2017. It's a great gadget, a much cheaper option than other Mac lineup if aiming only for specs + huge flash storage. Since I have a magic keyboard, mouse, and need more powerhouse than my Macbook Air, I'm considering this as an upgrade. Hopefully they refresh this year.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I am still using my 2012 Mac Mini. I mostly use it as an iTunes server now for my Apple TV so I leave it on 24/7.

Good luck for everyone waiting for a refresh. I'll keep using my 2012 till it explodes or something.

Nimbler

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
I would stay away from the Mac Mini. I had been a PC (dell) owner for years. I was going through computers about every 3 years. I finally decided to give Mac a try. I am shocked at how poor this thing performs. I got a 2014 version last fall (this was the latest version) I have 8gb ram and a 2.6 i5 processor. This computer is constantly churning. I get a spinning beach ball every day. I have been on the phone with Apple care, and I am told this is normal. Here are a few things I wish someone would have told me first.
1. You can not use Apple photos while using any other app. It locks up the computer
2. You can not have more than 3 or 4 web pages open at once, or it runs slow and could give you the spinning ball
3. iTunes is also a memory hog on macs.

The crazy thing is that I still have my first dell laptop from 10 years ago. I don't even know what the specs are. But I can run multiple web pages, I can run iTunes, and I can run picasa photos at the same time, and this 10 yr old laptop never gave me an issue. The only reason I don't use it anymore is the keyboard is falling apart and the screen has a hard time staying open buy itself

save your money. get an iPad.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Apple does not allow for memory or hard drive upgrades anymore. The memory is permantity in place, and the hard drive is positioned at the top of the machine, which means you have to literally take EVERYTHING out of the machine, just to get to the hard drive. Good luck getting it back together

Sorry to hear all of your problems. I have the same model without any of your problems except the occasional ball. Other than that it runs great. I run commonly 3 or 4 apps at once and 5 or more web pages using Firefox. No problem. Maybe a re-install of the is could solve your issues. Good luck!

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to buy an iMac this year. It'll be my first iMac since the original models launched back in the 90s. I'm kind of disappointed as I have owned a small box from Apple since the G4 Cube. The 2014 Mini was totally unacceptable to me though with nothing being user serviceable. We also now know that there was nothing about the Mini out of WWDC.

It's a shame, with TB3 if Apple could release a Kaby Lake Mini that sported the same features as the 2012 Mini, it would be a home run for hobby users.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
"I would stay away from the Mac Mini."

I realize this is an old topic, but I can NOT let this go by.

You clearly have a defective mini. Nothing you claim is normal. I currently have Photos, Safari, Thunderbird, iTunes, Xcode and OneNote running while typing this reply. This is on the same mini as you have (had?) - 2014, 8GB, 2.6gHz i5. It is even running from an external USB 3, 1 TB HD. It is fast, responsive and no spinning disks.

When running from the internal 500 GB SSD, of course it is MUCH faster. The internal SSD has Sierra, the external HD has High Sierra.

There is no reason AT ALL to "stay away from the Mac Mini". It works as well as any other PC with an i5 and 8GB. With a SSD it is VERY fast, again just like any other PC. 4 open tabs in Safari is NOT beyond its capability, any more than 4 open tabs in IE is too much for Windows to handle.

In short, your post is total baloney.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner