Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Mac Mini as audiophile media server

I'm considering a Mac Mini to replace my aging Lacie Cinema drive as my media center. It will be connected to TV and, ideally, to an analogue hi-fi amp (a Rotel) for sound. Main purpose would be to listen to music files, but also the odd movie.

Here are my particular needs and questions:

- want to browse my media library and control the Mac through my iPad and/or iPhone. Don't want to use keyboard or physical remote. Does something like plex installed on ipad control the files residing on the Mac mini (or external HD connected to Mac Mini)?
    - since my amp is analogue (with RCA connections) I presume I would have to convert digital to the RCA plugs in the amp. Does a Mac Mini USB to RCA DAC exist? Or what's the best way to get the sound out from Mac Mini to the analogue amp?

For reference i have a 2015 Macbook Pro retina but don't want it chained by cables or having to plug/unplug stuff everytime I want to use it to work or other things non music listening related.

Is the Mac Mini a good choice for me?

I think that's it! Thanks for any help.
    Q&A Jedi

3,349 Posts

Default Re: Mac Mini as audiophile media server?

This COULD work, but wouldn't an Apple TV be just as good and cheaper and easier?