What to do with Mac Mini

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a mid-2011 Mini with a 2.3GHz i5 processor, 2 gigs of RAM and a 500GB HD. It's been sitting for about a year, completely disconnected. Since I have a MBPr, I don't have much need for the Mini at the moment.

I pondered selling it but then my fianc? said she hopes I don't regret getting rid of it down the road. My question is, what exactly could I do with this thing now? It's been a bit slow for my liking as of late.

My other thought was to sell it. What's a fair price to ask for the Mini with an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and track pad?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
They make for pretty good HTPCs and media servers. You'd probably want to upgrade the RAM if you were to continue using it as a desktop computer.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I figured a healthy RAM upgrade would go a long way with usability. Maybe I'll look into using it as a media server. I suppose that's a relatively easy setup process? I remember seeing an iMore article somewhere but it simply referenced the hardware needed, and I think I'm good there.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Plex is a popular app for HTPCs that aggragates your content into nice menus very appropriate for using with a media remote on a television. At its most basic, an HTPC is no more difficult than setting the computer up to the TV and opening up an app like Plex or iTunes.

There's some integrated keyboard/touchpad devices out there like the start using OS X Server and turn your Mini into a data hub for all the files you might want access to on your other devices.

Diveo Media

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Well, I am sure you should sell it much less than the original price. You can find customers if you reduce the price for 30%.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen