Does the Fusion Drive connect to the Logic Board with the same connection as a PCIE Flash Storage?

DrBlip

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Does the Fusion Drive connect to the Logic Board with the same connection as a PCIE Flash Storage? (I don't fully understand SATA vs PCIE or PCIE Flash Storage vs SSD?)
Anyway, ''I guess my question is'':
Does it matter what type of storage I originally choose (Fusion or PCIE Flash Storage) when I buy a 2014 Mac Mini if my goal is to later on replace the Fusion Drive with a 1TB SSD/PCIE?
(I'm not talking about dual drive here, I just want to later on replace the 1TB Fusion Drive with 1TB of non spinning storage)
Thanks!

DrBlip

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
From what I understand the motherboard has 1 SATA connection and 1 PCIe connection.The Fusion Drive utilize both of these connection, the HD on the SATA and the SSD on the PCIe.

I would be getting the 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 with 16GB of RAM and 1TB Fusion Drive.
So in a year or two when the price of PCIe SSD storage is reasonable I would take out the Fusion drive and put a big PCIe SSD.
Does this make sense?

Thanks!

SEAL62505

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Very interested in this and was excited to see someone already started a thread on this topic.
If I got the base model (500gb) I could simply buy a PCIe SATA drive and it would automatically pick up and function as a fusion drive?
Has anyone tried this? If so, a link to a product on newegg would be helpful.