Is the memory in the Mac Mini user upgradeable?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in the Mac Mini 2014, but I want to upgrade the memory myself, is this still doable?

Yes. Just twist off the bottom cover and swap out the RAM.

Apparently, Apple has seen fit to lock us out of the 2014 Mac Mini. What a load of horse hockey.

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
2014 Mac mini : upgradability options
Previously the Mac mini was popular because it had easy to access memory – so you could add more RAM if you wanted to. Unfortunately the new Mac mini will not be this flexible, Apple has told us you will not be able to add more RAM after purchase as you could previously.

That is from a review: Mac mini (2014) first look review - Review - Macworld UK

That sux.

Wow. That totally sucks.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
My mid 2010 Mini is working well with the HW config below on Mavericks 10.9.5. According to the site below, up to 16GB RAM is possible. Given the Mini is now 4+ yrs old, was thinking about repurposing it for other duties in the house, and migrating to a new Mini.

While 16GB RAM is likely more than fine for general purpose computing for some time to come, it would be nice to know that if future OS or application specific requirements called for it, I could upgrade RAM in the 2014 Mini. RAM upgrades are generally some of the most cost effective ways to increase system performance - assuming no other system resources like CPU, disk, or network are a bottleneck to begin with.

I may have to rethink my update plans for a new Mini.

Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (Server) Specs (Mid-2010, MC438LL/A, Macmini4,1, A1347, 2364) @ EveryMac.com

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
What else could it be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, for starters, in Mavericks and again in Yosemite, Apple uses a proprietary memory compression process. I have read that that may explain part of the memory requirements/restrictions. I’ve not actually researched it, as it doesn’t pertain to me since I’m not in the marked for a new machine.

All memory is soldered in place in the retina MBP and all MBA laptops, as well as the entry level iMac. There is also no user serviceable memory in the 21" iMac (2014). But I’d certainly give Apple the benefit of the doubt over calling it "pure Apple greed".

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, for starters, in Mavericks and again in Yosemite, Apple uses a proprietary memory compression process. I have read that that may explain part of the memory requirements/restrictions. I?ve not actually researched it, as it doesn?t pertain to me since I?m not in the marked for a new machine.

All memory is soldered in place in the retina MBP and all MBA laptops, as well as the entry level iMac. There is also no user serviceable memory in the 21" iMac (2014). But I?d certainly give Apple the benefit of the doubt over calling it "pure Apple greed".

If you could replace the memory, and the only difference is the amount of GB's, then why wouldn't it be accessible? Still the same kind of memory, just more capacity. The processes would still work, just in a larger capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234