Why does the Mac Mini get bad rap?

Edward Wallace

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a late 2013 13" Macbook pro which seems to get a lot of great publicity and talk but I also have a Mac Mini which I upgraded with 8 Gig of RAM and a Samsung SSD which is now beating the living tar out of the Macbook Pro. I hear all the time about Mac Minis being good for small business servers and such but rarely are they even mentioned about being a solid desktop replacement. I have run tons of tests and also just the feel (user experience) of the mini is solidly spanking the Macbook Pro retina. I have yet to see any drawbacks with the exception of a killer video card...does anyone feel the like the Mini is missing the hype boat all together like I do?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why does Mac Mini get a bad wrap?

I think it gets the least publicity and it doesn't get the chance to shine in the spotlight

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

What kind of "wrap" should it be wrapped in?

The Mac Mini is a solid performer. My first ever Mac was a Mini way back around 2005. It took me a number of years to actually make the change (was completed in 2010). But I currently have a 2012 Mini that I use to serve up all iTunes media to computers and AppleTVs in my house. I have seen others post on these forums of similar uses.

I know of some heavy duty users who buy them by the truckload for their video rendering operation. Just set ?em up and let them do their job.

KarlDag

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

I have a late 2013 13" Macbook pro which seems to get a lot of great publicity and talk but I also have a Mac Mini which I upgraded with 8 Gig of RAM and a Samsung SSD which is now beating the living tar out of the Macbook Pro. I hear all the time about Mac Minis being good for small business servers and such but rarely are they even mentioned about being a solid desktop replacement. I have run tons of tests and also just the feel (user experience) of the mini is solidly spanking the Macbook Pro retina. I have yet to see any drawbacks with the exception of a killer video card...does anyone feel the like the Mini is missing the hype boat all together like I do?
It doesnt. It's just not marketed as much, because low margins = low profit. It's a great device, mine is set up as a HTPC and used as a Plex server. I love it. It's the 2011 model, if today's model has a much better CPU i might switch, otherwise I'll wait.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

The only problem I have with my 2012 Mini is that it gets a little hot when running Windows. I haven't noticed a performance hit (especially since I upgraded to Intel drivers) but it is a point of concern as the machine ages.

HD 4000 is a fairly capable graphics chip. It'll be no good for business needs or high-end 3D work of course but it's going to run your games for you (maybe not with the visual quality a hardcore gamer will want though, heh).

I love the fact that it has user-upgradeable RAM and two drive bays. It's a real shame the newer Minis are not as amenable to aftermarket work. I'm planning to run mine until at least the next product cycle now, so 2016 or so.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234