Mac Mini Mid 2011 model

terfos

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a Mid 2011 model of the Mac Mini with the 2.5 i5 processor and 8GB RAM. Before that I had the 1st gen Mac Mini.

When I purchased the 2011 Mini I simply copied the drive from the old Mini to the new Mini and basically had the same system on the new system. This was the original Tiger load, I believe, and has been upgraded since then to the current 10.9.2.

It's starting to be noticeably slow in my opinion. Would starting over from scratch help any or should I just start looking for replacement for it?

Thanks

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Mid 2011 model of the Mac Mini with the 2.5 i5 processor and 8GB RAM. Before that I had the 1st gen Mac Mini.

When I purchased the 2011 Mini I simply copied the drive from the old Mini to the new Mini and basically had the same system on the new system. This was the original Tiger load, I believe, and has been upgraded since then to the current 10.9.2.

It's starting to be noticeably slow in my opinion. Would starting over from scratch help any or should I just start looking for replacement for it?

Thanks

Starting off from scratch should help. A 2011 model isn't that old. Some people I know have Macs from 2009 and they run pretty fast on Mavericks.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You could run Activity Monitor to get an idea for when and with which apps/usage the slowness occurs.

Your system has a nice CPU and RAM configuration. If apps are disk or graphics intensive, those may be hardware level components that are being stressed under active use, and thus the slowness. Activity Monitor can help pinpoint that, as well as CPU and RAM utilization.

From the above you could then help determine the minimum new hardware requirements that your apps and usage patterns require.

Edit: I should have been more specific. Recommend not going with less hardware specifications than you currently have.

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, definitely do a clean install I use mini mid 2011 with Yosemite and I’m sure it runs as good as the new 2014.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the 2010 MM and just upgraded the RAM (4 to 8) and I'm seeing a very nice bump in application launches and overall system responses. Yosemite runs great on it too - the next step will also be to switch from HDD to SSD, but that may be a week or so before I do it.

I'm agreeing with most of the posts on here about the 2014 MM, so to beef up my 2010 and essentially have a "like new" MM for under $300 (RAM & SSD) is pretty sweet.

mistabritt

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I have both the Mac Mini (mid 2010) and Mac Mini (mid 2011) both running Yosemite. Both are running with 8GB of ram. The mid-2010 has 320GB hard drive while the mid-2011 has a 500GB hard drive. Thinking about upgrading the mid-2011 to 16GB of ram and upgrading to a SSD hard drive.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have both the Mac Mini (mid 2010) and Mac Mini (mid 2011) both running Yosemite. Both are running with 8GB of ram. The mid-2010 has 320GB hard drive while the mid-2011 has a 500GB hard drive. Thinking about upgrading the mid-2011 to 16GB of ram and upgrading to a SSD hard drive.

I haven't done SSD yet, but am still thinking about it. Please post if you do yours, with results, etc .

Thx